• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat install

TOMRR

Reaction score
It's been a while since I changed a Thermostat and wanted be sure the first time. I assume the Thermostat goes in first and the gasket goes on top . I do know top from bottom of the Thermostat

Is the gasket enough or should I putt a little sealant like Indian Head Shellac
Thanks Tom C

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Sealant is good.

Gasket first and then thermostat on top.

Ranger

Reaction score
I didn't use any sealant when I changed mine last summer. No drips, no leaks, no errors.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
3 t-stat "tricks"

I have found 2 things that always have served me well when it comes to Mopar thermostats.
1. always test the new t-stat to see if it opens with a pair of pliers and a heat source. (yes. I have had a bad one right out of the box)
2. drill a small hole in the flat part to not trap air. (some actually have this)
3. use a tie wrap through the t-stat and around a drill bit across the outlet to hold it in the groove while mounting. (they always seal better when they are in the groove)

hope this helps you

TOMRR

Reaction score
Hey now that I got you guys attention ,some times people drill a small hole in the rim of the thermostat to help get all the air out of the system . What size drill and does it work or worth it ??

Thanks TOM C.

Ranger

Reaction score
I've never done it either. Not sure I understand the need. Once the stat opens, if there is any trapped air it is released and makes it's way to the top of the radiator. Then again, why would there be air in the system anyway (other than at the top of the radiator)?

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
Hey now that I got you guys attention ,some times people drill a small hole in the rim of the thermostat to help get all the air out of the system . What size drill and does it work or worth it ??

Thanks TOM C.

I used an 1/8".
I was taught that from an old mopar drag racer who swore by it.
He was the guy on my block when I was a "kid" that was constantly changing motors or working on different projects for people of all brands.
He also worked on the Navy base fields keeping all the old tractors and basically anything with an engine running.
He must have had an air bubble overheating problem at some point that brought him to that procedure.
I figured it couldn't cause any detrimental loss in performance of the t-stat functionality if I did do it but might trap air if I didn't so I have always done it.
As a side note I haven't overheated any cars in the last 20 years that weren't directly related to other failures like holes in the radiator etc.
So maybe it works...maybe I'm just super lucky.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I've never done it either and I don't think it's necessary. The thermostat doesn't seal that well to the housing, so I don't think you need the hole. I've never had an issue with airlock.

Not that I think it's a bad idea... and it sure can't hurt.

So I say... do it if you feel like it.

Back