• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat

TOMRR

Reaction score
I am running a 160 Thermostat in my HP 440 for the motor breaking period. Before I drive I will install a 180 Thermostat and was wondering if it is worth drilling a 1/16 hole in the outer rim.
I was told this helps with bleeding air out of the system
Any body do this ???

Thanks Tom C.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've heard this, and I've never done it and never had any trouble.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have done it both ways. They do make this thing called a cap so you can check the level but make sure its not hot :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
naw.....I'll stick with what has worked...nice recovery

Coyote

Reaction score
I've done it for years. On initial fill, with the thermostat closed there can be an air blockage creating a hot spot. With cast iron not so much of a problem, with aluminum heads it CAN be a serious issue.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I just changed the thermostat on my 70 300 the other night.

I put the gasket, then thermostat, then housing on as usual. I thought about the debate with the hole (I didn't bother) and reached down through the housing and felt how loose the thermostat is.... and it's loose enough that IMHO, drilling a hole is redundant.

I've never drilled one and I just proved to myself that I won't bother in the future either.

Back