• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

thinking about wasting some money

sam z

Reaction score
I was talking to one of our members this weekend about some tranny work.

As much as it would be cool to convert my car to a 4spd from its present 727 I really don't think it will happen.

So, I've considered on-and-off to have the current 727 rebuilt to be a more heavy duty unit than its present
state which I think is OEM. It also is starting to leak like crazy which has to be addressed anyway and always
annoys me.

Finally, for those who haven't met me at Carlisle, I'm not exactly tall. It would be beneficial for me
to go out and get a Lokar shifter with a little more reachability then the current floor mounted
1970's B&M piece (which works just fine). No, I don't need blocks on the pedals but I'm close.

The only downside is that besides the leaks the tranny is essentially ok. A local shop wants $850 to do a complete
build with shift kit, plus around $250-300 for the Lokar kit.

Summary: What do you guys think? Is this a waste of money because tranny is ok (outside of nuisance leaks)
or the hell with it, get it done soup-ta-nuts because it has to go in for the leaks anyway, may as well just
do the whole thing and make the investment?

Thanks, whatever you can contribute is appreciated.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Depending on what you want, a shift kit is pretty easy to install yourself. It's laying on your back under the car but the worst part is dropping the pan.

Do you know where it's leaking? Generally they develop a leak at the valve body seals... but you are going to take that out if you install a shift kit. If it's a front seal, the trans has to come out. Another area is the dipstick tube seal. Again... you've already drained the trans, so the dip stick tube seal is pretty easy.

So.. if it were me, I would leave the trans in and do the shift kit and seals myself.

You're on your own with the shifter.

droptop

Reaction score
If the tranny is working fine, I would just do seals and go from there. As far as the shifter, being 6'6" I really can't comment on the replacement of the aftermarket shifter to suit the vertically challenged. :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
For that kind of money convert it to four speed and never worry about girliematic leaks again!!

moparmike

Reaction score
Fix the leaks and drive it. If it has to come out, then build it up. But don't listen to me. I'd ditch that slush-o-matic and put a stick in it!!! I like to stir mine by hand!!

4spd69RR

Reaction score
727's are usually pretty solid, if it isn't slipping, I would do the work myself and install the shift kit and fix the leaks. Have to agree with Big John on this one, fix it and go.

moparchris

Reaction score
On my RustyRunner I had a ton of leaks coming from the pan, shift selector seal, and dipstick. I put a B&M shift kit in and a few new seals and it didn't leak a drop even at 90K miles it still shifted hard! From 1 to 2 shift it would spin the tires

sam z

Reaction score
Looks overwhelming here...just fix it. I dropped back by the same place to bounce that idea of the tech (owner).
He said it would be a "waste of money" as he would charge me around 200 just to handle the exterior gaskets.
I understand his angle, he wants the big job and the money to go with it. I'll have to hunt around for another shop
I guess which sucks, because this is a mopar guy that came highly recommended.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
where did you say it was leaking from? pan is easy enough. tail shaft is easy enough. the real work is if it a front seal.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
On my RustyRunner I had a ton of leaks coming from the pan, shift selector seal, and dipstick. I put a B&M shift kit in and a few new seals and it didn't leak a drop even at 90K miles it still shifted hard! From 1 to 2 shift it would spin the tires

It spun the tires because there was no sheet metal left aft of the A-Pillars... :basketcase:

:lol: :acme: :lol:

:jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:

It spun the tires because there was no sheet metal left aft of the A-Pillars... :basketcase:

:lol: :acme: :lol:

:jester:

No kidding. Sheesh. That thing ran soooo good though!

Back