• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Cable - disconnect - Yikes!!!!

RR383

Reaction score
DSCF0701.jpg

Gentlemen - Never realized how temperamental these early Mopars were until I bought my first '70 runner. You have listened....guided and advised me on solving problems with these cars that you yourselves have dealt with at a much earlier time. So now I come to you yet once more to assist me in solving yet another setback.

Please take a minute and look at the attached pics. Two different angles of the carb linkage/springs. And one of the accelerator pedal with the cable and tiny steel ball that is our focus of this conversation. IT WON'T STAY ATTACHED!!!!!

The accelerator pedal has ZERO rebound pressure when you snap the throttle....in fact the tiny little ball dislodges itself. How dangerous is that going down the interstate.

I recently purchased what where advertised as the correct throttle spring and trans kick down spring as well. In fact...I installed them a few minutes ago hoping this problem would resolve itself...but to my disbelief it DID NOT correct the problem.

Sooooooooo.....what in the #@&& is going on here. :(

DSCF0700.jpg

DSCF0701.jpg

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
DSCF0702.jpg

Sorry....I tried to link them together.

DSCF0702.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
That pedal cable IS dangerous. It should have a plug to keep the ball end from slipping down. You'll probably have to improvise.

pedal cable.jpg

pedal cable.jpg

Last edited:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
That plug is nylon I think and it has a grove to lock it in place you just push it in.

Ranger

Reaction score
A small screw and nut should do the trick. Maybe add a washer on one or both sides if needed. That should be enough to prevent the ball end from sliding down.

RR383

Reaction score
Will do...but gentlemen I'm still not getting good rebound off the pedal. Still sluggish on the return. Believe I need to locate a stiffer throttle spring locally...if possible.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Will do...but gentlemen I'm still not getting good rebound off the pedal. Still sluggish on the return. Believe I need to locate a stiffer throttle spring locally...if possible.

Be careful it could be a fraid cable and will stick open. Disconnect it and see if it slides smoothly

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I bet they were going to use the fastener until they saw the ball on the end and it got left on the floor

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Give our pals at Mancini a call they will get you fixed up with a new throttle cable, springs and correct bracket you need for that carb and manifold. you are likely getting binding due to using the factory brackets with aftermarket intake and carb. I had the same issue with my 69. The boys at Mancini got me right. Good luck!

http://www.manciniracing.com/hemthrotcab.html

My setup. AR Engineering throttle bracket.
20140621_095018.jpg

20140621_095006.jpg

RR383

Reaction score
Interesting design...Napa had the spring within the spring set-up very similar to Lokar.

Back