• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Issue

zupanj

Reaction score
I think you guys are right. I did have the distributor gear and oil pump shaft out and they looked brand new. I actually thought about turning the gear so it's in proper phase but that won't take care of the initial cause. Thinking back I noticed a stumble when I stepped on it lately but figured that was the carbs. Then two weeks ago it was really hard to start but finally started and ran. I drove it for a while to check a new setting on the accelerator pumps but I don't recall any misfires or bad running. I did notice when the stumble occurred that the engine seemed to go flat and acted different than the stumble at the higher pump settings. Then a week later it just would not start at all

This is not a crate motor that was put together by a shop for the guy I bought it from. I didn't see the front of the engine before it was put together though I was into most of the rest of it. I think the next step is to be at top dead zero and pull the timing cover as you guys said. I had to take a trip to Massachusetts this week but will play this weekend. This consulting stuff is interfering with my retirement.

V269

Reaction score
Pull the #1 spark plug out and use a remote starter or have someone roll the engine over with your finger or thumb over the hole. When the compression blows your finger off you are at or very near tdc on the comp. stroke. Now look to see where your rotor is pointing. If not at #1 I would be looking at the front of the engine. :yesnod: Good luck.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
V269 said:
Pull the #1 spark plug out and use a remote starter or have someone roll the engine over with your finger or thumb over the hole. When the compression blows your finger off you are at or very near tdc on the comp. stroke. Now look to see where your rotor is pointing. If not at #1 I would be looking at the front of the engine. :yesnod: Good luck.
good luck sticking your thumb down a 6 inch spark plug tube unless you have the valve cover off......jack like i told joe.....do yourself a favor and buy the mopar performance....Hemi engines....part #P4876824.....this is a awesome book and will help you....what i told you earlier was off the valve lash chart from this book.....if those valves arent fully closed rotate the crank 360 degrees to 0 again and this will be tdc.....if not she jumped timing

V269

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
V269 said:
good luck sticking your thumb down a 6 inch spark plug tube unless you have the valve cover off......jack like i told joe.....do yourself a favor and buy the mopar performance....Hemi engines....part #P4876824.....this is a awesome book and will help you....what i told you earlier was off the valve lash chart from this book.....if those valves arent fully closed rotate the crank 360 degrees to 0 again and this will be tdc.....if not she jumped timing
Right George, forgot it was a hemi. My bad. :facepalm:

zupanj

Reaction score
Thanks guys. George I have that book and will take a look at it.

I was thinking about this in bed last night. Tell me if this is not correct. The crank and damper are indexed so the pistons are at a defined position at each crank position. Therefore if the crank is set at zero on the timing mark than it has to be either tdc or 180º out. The position of the valves at #1 cylinder will tell you which it is. Correct?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
#1 will either be at the top of the compression(TDC) stroke or the exhaust stroke when the timing mark lines up. On a Hemi the best way is to pull a valve cover and make sure both valves are closed or catch it with a compression gauge

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
zupanj said:

I was thinking about this in bed last night. Tell me if this is not correct. The crank and damper are indexed so the pistons are at a defined position at each crank position. Therefore if the crank is set at zero on the timing mark than it has to be either tdc or 180º out. The position of the valves at #1 cylinder will tell you which it is. Correct?
@0 TDC....ITS EITHER COMPRESSION OR EXHAUST STROKE.....SO 180 DEGREES OUT......NO......ONE FILL TURN FROM 0 TO O IS 360 DEGREES

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
zupanj said:

@0 TDC....ITS EITHER COMPRESSION OR EXHAUST STROKE.....SO 180 DEGREES OUT......NO......ONE FILL TURN FROM 0 TO O IS 360 DEGREES

You guys are saying the exact same thing but expressing it differently...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
zupanj said:

You guys are saying the exact same thing but expressing it differently...
Georgie is yelling it :lol: I met Jack, his hearing is fine :lmao:

zupanj

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
zupanj said:

It's 180º of cam timing.

Back