• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing mark off on harmonic balancer?

resq302

Reaction score
Getting ready to reinstall the harmonic balancer and I noticed that the timing mark is not lined up with the key way section on the hub. Are these supposed to be lined up? If so, I'm guessing that would mean that the outer ring spun. The rubber piece that is sandwiched between the hub and the outer ring seems to be in good shape and does not appear to be dry rotted or anything.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I guess I'd never checked the relationship between the keyway and the TDC mark. We always established top dead center with a dial indicator (if the heads were off) or a piston stop. Then we'd compare it to the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. I did a Google search for images of the harmonic balancers and they look like the timing marks are a bit counter-clockwise from the keyways in the photos that I saw.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have never seen one line up with the key way either, however, I did have an issue on my older runner were the out piece spun.

jays69bird

Reaction score
common problem on the older ones where the out piece has spun making the timing mark off. Good way to check it is motor at TDC on compression stroke on # 1 cylinder.Check the mark on the to see if the markbalancer in anywhere near the timing tab on the timing chain cover.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had that trouble with my last car. I got to where I set the timing by ear.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Same here, but it seemed to throw of the crank balance a little while running. It seemed to me that the time was off. My father in law was over one day, helping me time it with his Penske timing light. That's when he notice the mark had moved/shifted.

Back