• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing talk

V269

Reaction score
Here is a question since there is a lot of discussion about timing on here. What are the pro's and con's of having the vacuum advance hooked up as apposed to not having it hooked up on your car ? Eg, bottom end, top end, throttle responce etc. I see some of you like it and other's do not. Please enlighten us all. :cheers: :popcorn:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The vacuum makes the advance curve work smoother for street driving. If your all about performance and your curve is set up for your motor and all straight line go with a big cam gears who cares about how smooth you car drives. Your generally not going to have enough vacuum at the low end for it to work properly and it just something a racer doesn't have to mess with :cents:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The vacuum makes the advance curve work smoother for street driving. If your all about performance and your curve is set up for your motor and all straight line go with a big cam gears who cares about how smooth you car drives. Your generally not going to have enough vacuum at the low end for it to work properly and it just something a racer doesn't have to mess with :cents:

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

moparchris

Reaction score
Vacuum advance is a band aid that the auto manufacturers used to mask driveability issues associated with emissions regulations.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Vacuum advance is a band aid that the auto manufacturers used to mask driveability issues associated with emissions regulations.
You silly kids :acme: They had vacuum advance back when the had road pipes to dump crankcase fumes. That's what George told me I'm not that old :lmao:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
You silly kids :acme: They had vacuum advance back when the had road pipes to dump crankcase fumes. That's what George told me I'm not that old :lmao:
yeah you young whipersnappers....emissions.... what was that with all that leaded gas.....they had vacumn advance way before that.....yes what everyone said is correct except for emissions....if you have a mild engine that has enough vacumn to use the vacumn advance i would recommend it....driveability and maybe better gas mileage :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
coyotekiller said:
It seems like George knows all. I'm going to him when I have questions!
no i dont know all but i like to throw in my 2 cents.....you know how us new york guys are

george68hemirr

Reaction score
coyotekiller said:
yea new yorkers are very shy and timid people :lmao: :basketcase:
i ran into johnny with the viper(the guy you bought the engine from)....says your a good guy
his brother was getting his bad ass like 2006 camaro dynoed and then this honda pulls in with a 405 twin turbo chevy blown out full drag car/chute/wheelie bars.....each turbo will support 1000hp each....when i split he was up to 985 hp at the rear wheels......going for 30 lbs of boast and is looking for 1400 hp at the rear wheels....YOU COULDNT BREATH OR HEAR WHEN HE RAN IT UP TO 10,000 RPMS
johnnys brother made out.....485 hp at the rear wheels

DONT NEED NO STINKIN VACUMN ADVANCE....HAHA :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
Maybe the new Dear Abbey :jester:
i"ll dear abbey yea :jester:
Dear Prudence is better :jester:

"Dear George"...now that's a riot... :lmao:

How about a weekly column with tips on welding, MSD pill selection, cal-tracs vs. SS springs, LSA - old school vs. new school, etc., etc.??? And don't forget the political rants... :lol: :banana: :lol: :banana: :lol:

:jester:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Dear George"...now that's a riot... :lmao:

How about a weekly column with tips on welding, MSD pill selection, cal-tracs vs. SS springs, LSA - old school vs. new school, etc., etc.??? And don't forget the political rants... :lol: :banana: :lol: :banana: :lol:

thats great.....how about i just give everything the NILSEN rating :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There's nothing like a good vacuum advance thread to get the juices flowing.

V269

Reaction score
Big John said:

Just a simple question and look what happened. :facepalm: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
V269 said:
Big John said:

Just a simple question and look what happened. :facepalm: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
You should be used to that by now!!!!!That's SOP around here. :lmao: :crazy: :loco:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
coyotekiller said:
George are you going to the mopars at e-town in May
thats the 15th-16th.....we have our little car show on the 16th for the youth center that we"ve been help for the past 5 years....it dont look like i will be making that

Back