• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Aging

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I read about this a couple years ago. I gotta say it was something I never thought about... The Goodrich T/A's I took off the RoadRunner are probably 15-20 years old and have no date code like that on them.

Kinda makes you wonder about the guys buying the NOS tires for their cars... Hopefully the only mileage they will see is to the trailer to the show field and back.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Anyone know if the old redlines were dated? I have one that was in the trunk as a spare.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea on the date coding on the old redlines...

Anyone notice that almost all of the vehicles in the "museum of death" were SUVs and such, all vehicles with inherently high centers of gravity? Your average driver just isn't equipped from a driving skill standpoint to deal with the effects of a blown tire in one of these vehicles. Doesn't diminish the need to monitor tire age, but it certainly should be factored in when the litigators start slinging blame and lawsuits seeking damages around...

I know for a fact that the Mickey Thompson Sportsmans on the back of my Z-28 are 15 years old...I'm sure that this will flash across my mind the next time that I buzz it up to triple digits...Thank God for roll cages and five-point harnesses...

Ray

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
No idea on the date coding on the old redlines...

Anyone notice that almost all of the vehicles in the "museum of death" were SUVs and such, all vehicles with inherently high centers of gravity? Your average driver just isn't equipped from a driving skill standpoint to deal with the effects of a blown tire in one of these vehicles. Doesn't diminish the need to monitor tire age, but it certainly should be factored in when the litigators start slinging blame and lawsuits seeking damages around...

I know for a fact that the Mickey Thompson Sportsmans on the back of my Z-28 are 15 years old...I'm sure that this will flash across my mind the next time that I buzz it up to triple digits...Thank God for roll cages and five-point harnesses...

Ray

I think you hut the nail on the head about SUVs and driving abilty.

Living in an area were driving on snow covered roads isn't unusual in the winter, I've seen a lot of people that figure their SUV makes them invincible and they can drive in any weather at speeds that are questionable on dry roads.

I really think growing up learning to drive on bias ply tires, drum brakes, ABS or airbags gave me some respect for what can and does happen if you aren't paying attention.

Back