• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To brace or Not to brace? That's the question

zupanj

Reaction score
I kept the 8 3/4 with 3.23:1 gears in my runner when I did the hemi conversion. I have had no problems at all but I really haven't abused it too much either. The engine has about 600 hp and 600 ft-lbs at the crank. We measured around 460 hp and over 500 ft-lbs at the rear wheels. I didn't do the Dana because I had already spent a ton on the changeover. Lately I have been looking at the Strange setup and might do the conversion over the winter though. The Dana just looks right in a hemi car.

moparchris

Reaction score
droptop said:
The weakest link in an 8.75 is the housing. Under hard acceleration, the deflection in the housing causes the ring gear to pull out of the pinion gear. When it gets to far out of the teeth, it just breaks the teeth off of the ring gear. Beef up the housing. :cents:

The third member is the problem in this case not the rear end housing. Someone started bracing the 9 inch Phord in 1500 plus Hp pro stock cars. This then made its way to pro street cars then to 8.75 cars since it was the same type of housing. If your stripping teeth of the ring gear then its time for a Dana barring an improperly built rear.

Rawone

Reaction score
Dana...and forget about issues! The third member could be suspect in a 8 3/4, and a Dana 60 also has much bigger (stronger) axels If you do end up racing it much or hook hard at the track. Dana will add value to the car. I see your thinking tho, without hooking you could be free from issues. My thinking is a broken center section or axel could be a costly repair to the rear end, floorpan, and possibly body. Reminds me of the old Fram oil filter commercial that stated...you can pay me now.......or pay me later.

Last edited:
Back