• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Fuse Tap or Not?

MsBeep

Reaction score
I decided to trace some aftermarket stereo wiring in the 'runner on this rainy day and came across a questionable connection. I do not have a factory radio installed in the car.
I do have a Pioneer model KPH-4200 car deck. I found BOTH the RED lead (which is normally connected to the terminal controlled by 12V DC Ignition ON/OFF position) and the ORANGE lead (normally connected to the terminal always supplied with power, regardless of ignition switch position) spliced to a lead ending in a brass fuse-tap/piggyback terminal. This "tap" was inserted with the fuse for the RADIO and BACK-UP LAMP in the fuse block. It didn't look right, so I delved deeper.

Upon closer examination, I found that the 10A fuse had been broken, yet had remained in place. I was able to get it out without a problem, but the SFE 7.5 A fuses I have are only 3/4" long, and appears too short to attach a fuse tap blade to. :brickwall:

I have questions: 1. Has anyone ever connected their stereo wiring to one of the terminals on the backside of the fuse block? Or are they strictly for incoming power distribution?
My fuse block wiring looks very clean, with no signs of overheating or shorts. 2. IS there a 7.5 A fuse 1 1/4" long? or can I safely use the 10A fuse I have in hand...instead?

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yes, i've conneted the radio to the back of the fuse box. just make sure it's a fuse that doesn't have power with the key off.

MsBeep

Reaction score
Well, after reviewing my notes from 2009, I think I may have answered my own questions regarding the fuse taps for my aftermarket stereo wiring.
The orange lead will be tapped off the Cigar lighter 20A fuse and the red lead tapped off the Radio fuse.
George was right about the orange lead always needing power; probably for the clock and preset memory in the deck. It already has a 15 A inline fuse in it.

Thanks to Basketcase - I don't need a fire extinguisher. I had the smarts to reread what I posted and discovered my mistake: I had the location of my taps reversed in my initial post.
This is my revised plan and I'm sticking to it! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MsBeep

Reaction score
Thanks George! I think I have got this solved-I'll let you guys know if a fire extinguisher is required:cower:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hope you figure it out before you need one......newsummersetstuff004.jpg

newsummersetstuff004.jpg

Back