• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To GTX or not

Barbotte

Reaction score
Got a project car and getting ready to finish off the body work (front and rear valence, front fenders and hood). Car is a 400 auto according to the fender tag. I will be the second owner. Here's my dilemma, when the car was delivered to the dealership back in late 72, it came off the transport with GTX badging, but a 400 motor. Hood still has the two holes for the badging on each side according to the owner's son. Is it worth to keep it with the gtx hood badges, or just plug the holes up. Also, the dealership had to fix some of the decals, some missing.
I will post some pics when I go work on the car soon. Apparently there are some early photos of the car that can confirm this.

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting oddball. I like the oddballs personally. I'd leave it the way it came. JMHO.

Barbotte

Reaction score
Oddball indeed. Until I can personally see the photos not sure what to do.

droptop

Reaction score
The only bad thing about having an odd ball car is defending it to every know it all idiot at every car show you go to.

Barbotte

Reaction score
A bit of a time restraint now. Hood and fenders are going to get prepped soon. Unable to confirm the GTX twist at this time. I can still drill out the holes later on if the story holds true.

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the fender tag? Is there a build sheet somewhere in the car (above glove box inside dash, behind rear back upper seat, under pax front seat)? True, no 440s in 72. Would like to see the codes.

Back