• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much torque??

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I'm building a mild 440 for my 69 383 4-speed Roadrunner. Some people have told me a 440 has too much torque for a stock 383 frame. They say I should weld in the torque boxes and frame connectors. This 440 has 10.1 comp and a 509 cam, maybe 450 HP. What do you guys think??

V.R.D

Reaction score
unless you are going to be drag racing you wont need them with a 440 i never had them and never a problem

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
9.8 to 1 compression with half dome pistons in my 383. Getting 450 hp out of it. Did not put any stiffeners in my frame or torque boxes. Like stated if you're not drag racing don't see a real problem. Have not noticed any shifting of the body or frame on this car. Years ago, saw a mustang pull up to the drive-in bugger joint and one front tire was four inches off the ground from the frame torqued. If you where to put a hell cat or some outrage's type of motor in our cars, with nitrous and producing over 500 hp then might be a wise idea to do that. Then you would need to add wheelie bars on it also. :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
GTX is a 440 car with the same frame. Like said above if your not going to the track and run slicks don't worry about it. Hemi cars got torque boxes probably because so many of them were destined for the track and abuse. They have alot of torque but up higher in the RPMs

Back