• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing question

1steuroride

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am having my new house built and it will be done in about two months. I listed my current home on the market hoping to move from one to the other but it got offers instantly and ended up turning into a bidding war selling for well above asking so I had to sell. So now my pickle is I will have to move in with the In laws for a few weeks until the new place is done. Here is my question, I will have to tow my RR to the in laws house, i have not installed the motor yet, I do not have a trans for it yet... Should I tow it with or without the motor installed keeping in mind I do not have a trans to support the rear of the motor. Will I mess something up moving the car around with the motor only being supported on the mounts without a trans? Thanks and sorry for the long story!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Are you talking about pulling it behind another car on a tow bar? If so it wont follow with out some weight on the front. You can put the engine in and put a couple of long bolts in the back of the crank shaft with a piece of steel across the frame for them to rest on.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
on a trailer, shouldn't be a problem, you can put some blocks on the trailer deck to support the engine.
flat towing it on a tow bar, i've done it with my last road runner with no engine/trans. Anything above 40mph the front end shook. I'm not sure if the no weight on the front end did it or not. I found later the ideler arm was shot.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
tow strap,friend in the car, much more fun......ah the good ol days.....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Tow strap and a friend plus 50 miles and you need a new friend LOL. As said above hire a pro.

jays69bird

Reaction score
we did that with a 71 Charger,the brakes failed and it ended up in someones front lawn. We had to get another truck and chain,hook it to the rear. One truck was pulling it the other acting as the brakes ! Good old days, my foot !:toetap:

Roadcuda

Reaction score

Knowing you guys I've resisted telling this story, but here goes anyways. My friend an I did that back in the good ol days. It was the early 70s sometime and he had bought a Daytona, yes,THAT Daytona, it was a 440 auto. Well he came to my place one night and was having trouble with the tranny and by the time he pulled in my driveway it gave out. The engine still ran fine but the tranny was done. So we took my car back to his place, some 35 miles away, to get his dad's '65 318 poly Coronet and some rope. Drove back to my place and secured the rope between the two cars. I don't think that we had more then 12 ft between us. Well, his dad's Coronet supplied the locomotion and I had to really pay attention to those brake lights so I didn't run into him on the way back to his house. We kept to the back roads and made it with no problems, I kept that pointed nose, and the rest of the car in one piece. He's done some research and as of a few years ago the car still existed and was down south somewhere.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Last fall I even got The Boss broke into the tow strap bit. Her Intrepid is an '04. I tried to replace the battery last summer. I was always told 5 years max on a battery, so we were beyond borrowe time, but the original battery nnever showed any signs of letting her down, and she wouldn't hear of it. I told her, it's OK with me, I won't be the one on the side of the road. well one day last fall.....I got the call. So I hoped in the truck and went where she was, about 5 miles from home. The car just died. She didn't want to wait for the hook to come, so I asked her if she was up to being towstrapped home. She had pulled me a couple times, but this was her first on the other end. Got her home without a hitch, and the next day her car got a new battery.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Rent a trailer from Uhaul and don't screw around flat towing it.

Think of time and money invested versus risk of crashing and even worse, crashing into someone else. That $60 rental fee sounds pretty good then.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
excatly. when I hear of someone wanting to flat tow an old car they know nothing about, I tell them to get a trailer and get the whole car off the ground and be safe.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
yeah, we were young and stupid then. We were just lucky that night. Now that I'm not as young and hopefully a little less stupid, I know better then to do that again.

Back