• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyota sure cares about the American people!

moparstuart

Reaction score
People must be proud to drive these cars -

Toyota to hand off pension bill to U.S.

BY GREG GARDNER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Toyota is leaving a $131-million pension shortfall to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. as it closes the New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. plant in Fremont, Calif., April 1, said Sergio Santos, president of UAW Local 2244.
But the PBGC, a federal corporation charged with protecting pension benefits of 44 million Americans, wants to discuss ways Toyota can reduce the gap.

The agency has taken legal action to gain control of the NUMMI pension plan. PBGC spokesman Gary Pastorius said the agency wants to talk to Toyota about alternatives to a takeover, "but it just hasn't
happened yet. We still have questions."
NUMMI said it had met its obligations regarding the plan when the PBGC began court action, according to a memo issued by Tracy Wakefield, a human resources manager.

Toyota operated NUMMI jointly with General Motors from 1983 until GM's withdrawal last summer.
Santos said NUMMI and Toyota imposed a "gag order that I believe violates our First Amendment rights," preventing workers from commenting on the plant closure.
NUMMI spokesman Lance Tomasu said the union voluntarily pledged not to denigrate NUMMI or Toyota as part of the shutdown agreement.

In recent days, Toyota sweetened the severance offer from $253 million to $281 million for the about 4,500 NUMMI workers, Santos said. Each hourly
worker will receive a base severance of $21,175, plus supplements that vary based on years of service, the union president said.

On March 3, the PBGC said it would cover $126 million of a $131-million underfunding in the pension covering NUMMI's UAW workers. The agency said $5 million of supplemental benefits are not insured.
Harley Shaiken, a University of California Berkeley professor and labor relations expert, said the pension shortfall adds to Toyota's public relations challenges.

"For the world's most profitable automaker to walk away from a pension covering people who, in some cases, worked for more than a quarter of a century doesn't look good," Shaiken said. "Especially in the wake of Toyota's recent recalls

Roadcuda

Reaction score
While I would love to bash these guys any way I can, I think this is just another example of another big company finding a way to screw the people that made it possoble for that company to get all of it's wealth. They don't want to share that wealth with the workers, so they find a way to let someone else take care these people. But it does give me another reason to hate seeing these things on the road. It seems that everywhere I go I am surrounded by them, and it makes me sick! :brickwall:

Back