• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny Rebuild - Did I pay too much??

JJRJR

Reaction score
I had my 4 speed rebuilt for the 69 RR. I do trust the tech doing the work, but it seems like a lot of money. Guy said the whole tranny was frozen up and they essentially made it into a new trans. Price as $1,100. Sound right?

Thanks,

John

3836bbl

Reaction score
Was it in the car working before you took it out?
Need more info on why it was removed,and did the shop remove it,
or did you remove it and take it to them?
John

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That's what Brewers charges for a 23 spline outright.

If they took it out and put it back in, then you did fine. Even if you did the r&r, it may have saved the shipping costs. Last card is quality. Brewers is top notch. If these guys did it right then you did great.

JJRJR

Reaction score
It was in the back seat. They just came and picked it up. At the end of the day, they said it's like new now. Thanks,

John

moparchris

Reaction score
Is it a 4 gear? I forget. Anyways, it depends on whats wrong with it. I have been guilty of spending over $1500 to make a trans perfect again and I did all the labor myself (including rebuilding it). So depending on what was wrong with it, $1100 sounds like an appropriate amount.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely depends a lot on what parts you need. Once you have to start buying gears the bill starts to tally. I was pretty fortunate when I had Jamie Passon do mine along with sending my shifter out to get rebuilt and replated the bill only came to about 800 bucks and two hundred of that was just for the shifter service. I dropped it off and picked it up.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Just picked mine up from Jamie at Passion at Carlisle this year and with exchange it was $700.00 with all made in the USA parts :thumbsup:

Jamie stands behind what he sells to!

JJRJR

Reaction score
Finally got the work order for the tranny rebuild. Here's what it says:

Rebuild transmission with all new bearings, blocking rings, seals, main shaft, synchros, gear set, spacers, etc.

$1,075.

Sound reasonable?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Finally got the work order for the tranny rebuild. Here's what it says:

Rebuild transmission with all new bearings, blocking rings, seals, main shaft, synchros, gear set, spacers, etc.

$1,075.

Sound reasonable?
Yep the shafts and gears add up in a hurry :yesnod:

Back