• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission cross member

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Man I was worried when some one spoke of getting an automatic trans mission cross member for their runner. Went up and looked at mine and it looks like it will work on either automatic or manual trans. Mine had a 727 in it but was a four speed car. So have the four speed to go back into it. Look's like it will all work unless something is forward or back. I hope not. Russ. :beep:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Russ I think the 1970 and onwards cross members suit both applications. I had to source a 1969 or earlier auto crossmember for my gearvendors only because the unit was designed to bolt onto the auto crossmember. Being a 68, my manual crossmember was not compatible with the gearvendors unit.

Roadtrip

Reaction score
Depends on your tail shaft and mount location on your manual trans. The later 70 and up will also work on early automatic, the ‘automatic’ mount and four speed mount for dual pattern tail shafts for 70 and up etc... if you have this style. E9AFCA4F-7F90-435C-96C2-D757A3939453.jpeg It’s an early automatic and 70 up 4 speed.
Take pics of the tail shaft and mount and post if your not sure.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just converted an automatic to an early or 69 4 speed cross member. Cut the plate out of the middle and remove the external spool mount.

Roadtrip

Reaction score
I just converted an automatic to an early or 69 4 speed cross member. Cut the plate out of the middle and remove the external spool mount.

Russ you can definitely do this too just as @69hemibeep says. I posted at three AM and wanted to say that but was too tired to figure how to put it into words. Lol

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
This is one thing the car was a four speed car and just don't think they changed the cross member. It has the two bolt set up on the isolator. Not quite to that point of putting it in yet so will cross that bridge when I get their. Thanks Roadtrip and 69Hemibeep.

Back