• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission leaks

solid gold

Reaction score
Do all 4-speeds drip? (leak) Mine is leaking in front and in back a little. I took it (the car) back to the shop yesterday who rebuilt it, put it on the rack and looked at it. He said if he pulled it out, rebuilt it again, it would still drip a little. He said that hole in the inspection plate cover is for that leakage. :huh: Any tranny guys out there want to comment, I would appreciate your thoughts. Fluid level was normal from filling it approx. 4 months ago. If this IS normal I'll deal with it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've never had a leak in the rear. and anytime I've had the flywheel cover off, there's been enough oil to wipe off, but not dripping wet. if the seals are leaking, then maybe the shaft is wore? and the rebuilt 4 speed I bought from Jamie Passion didn't leak a bit.

solid gold

Reaction score
Thanks for your imput. It's not a whole lot, but was just concerned. Was told also,(by another person),that is was just the nature of "THE BEAST".ie (you're going to have a drip once in awhile) :drive:

mcmopar

Reaction score
If it is dripping out the front you need to get that fixed pronto or you are likely to have a disc failure due to oil on the disc. Been there, done that. Mine doesn't leak a bit out the back either.

John69RR

Reaction score
As Dave said if the input shaft has a wear ring on it from the seal it may be from there. A fix is to get a speedi-sleeve and have it installed. The sleeve is determined by the seal number. Are you sure it is from the trans and not the freeze plug on the back of the camshaft?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I don't think it should leak. Maybe a little "seepage" over the course of time, but not a leak.

What kind of oil is in the trans? Some use ATF to make them shift easier when cold. There's always debate about this, but IMHO, the NPG trans (made here is Syracuse!) was designed to run gear oil in and ATF is going to be prone to leak at the seals.

Steve

Reaction score
I had all the seals and gaskets replaced in my 4-speed when I had the 440 built over the winter.It was pissing oil real bad and I was forever cleaning the garage floor.It was filled with ATF to make any future oil leaks easy to determine where the leak was coming from.So far leak free and a clean garage floor :thumbsup:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The rear seal is easy to change. Be sure it is the long lip style and not the short.

My 4 speeds have typically seeped a bit in the front. It never amounted to anything worth fooling with. Never had a low fluid level.

Back