• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission

hillsglass

Reaction score
I need to rebuild my auto trans. Should I keep it stock. Or should I upgrade the torque converter and put in a shift kit? I only drive n the street. What does everyone think? Thank's Chip

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I think the stock torque convertor on a 383 is great even with engine mods! It has a stall speed similar to a Hemi. However, you can tweak the trans and stock valve body to shift crisper. I changed my torque convertor and wish I had the stock one back in it. The higher stall speed makes it feel a little less responsive to the gas pedal in reverse or from a stop at a light, etc....for anything but racing. There are plenty of trans tips that have been published. I would read up on it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my first '69 had a beefed up 727 with 3.91s. It would chip the tires when shifting to second. Loved that.

Back