• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

transporting a classic car

artiststan

Reaction score
My buddy used Reliable Shipping to transport his cars, so I know they are good. I see posts on Uship. Anybody have an opinion about this. It needs to get moved about 1600 miles.

rockdog2112

Reaction score
I looked into it a few months ago and made the mistake of asking for a quote from this company and they put my name out to about 50 other companies and I was inundated with calls and texts from these different transporters until just a few weeks ago. They were pretty aggressive and very annoying and called repeatedly. Make sure you're speaking to the actual company that transports and not getting hooked up into some kind of network. One other thing, the cheapest isn't always the best deal with these guys. Buyer beware.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
look up U_SHIP IT and insure it for damage--I bought a car in Huston tx and shipped it to central NJ and it was 600. bucks now that's cheap!take pics of the car all 4 corners and bumper I shiped 10 cars and 1 they banged up--but 3850 bucks later and a trip to a auto-boby shop she was like new!attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
definitely make sure they are insured, and take TONS of pics before they pick the car up, and go for an enclosed trailer, Guy over on the 'parts had a '70 Super Bee transported, on an open trailer, and in transit the car was in a hail storm and IIRC he had a hard time getting the transporter to cover the damage.

droptop

Reaction score
The guy that bought my '66 Charger in 07 used FedEx. Picked the car up at my house in Southern Indiana and took it to Red Hook New York with out any issues all. I think he told me it was just under $1000.

A12

Reaction score
Artiststan your friend wouldn't happen to be a pilot?

A12

Reaction score
From the horror stories I've heard of independent and small business shippers I would go with Reliable Carriers and get a good night's sleep while it's on the way to you.

artiststan

Reaction score
Reliabe doesn't pick up at the remote location wher the car lives upstate NY. AHI transpoet gave me a decent quote.

What friend pilot? Not sure what that question was to me.

A12

Reaction score
What friend pilot? Not sure what that question was to me.

He's a friend that lives in Texas and just shipped his A12 Six Pack Super Bee to Illinois and back to Texas via Reliable Carriers recently. Thought maybe you knew him or that's who may have used Reliable? He's a pilot for a major airline out of Texas. Sorry my bad.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Where the heck is this car that they won't go after it?

jays69bird

Reaction score
It is funny,when we sold our Hudson Hornet the buyer in Queens had no problem getting a shipper. Oswego is kind of out of the way.

artiststan

Reaction score
Yes it is just below Buffalo .. Queens should be in another state compared to where this car is. Reliable just sent a no-go email.

Big John

Reaction score
Geez... that isn't that far out of the way.

Just have to get the car to Erie, PA or Buffalo. Maybe a local guy with a rollback or a trailer.

Ever think about flying up and driving it home? Probably a 20 hour drive. We're having a mild winter so if you timed it right, you could do it during decent weather.

Big John

Reaction score
Yes it is just below Buffalo .. Queens should be in another state compared to where this car is. Reliable just sent a no-go email.

People don't realize how big New York State is sometimes... That's pretty much one end to another.... In mileage and lifestyle.

Reliable probably delivers a lot of collector cars to the port in New Jersey (just a few miles out of NYC) for their trip to Europe.

Ranger

Reaction score
Ever think about flying up and driving it home? Probably a 20 hour drive. We're having a mild winter so if you timed it right, you could do it during decent weather.
That's what I just did, but my trip was a little shorter (basically DTW - ORD). Only chance I had to drive it until next spring :(

A12

Reaction score
I won an auction bid on a '69 440 hp engine that was a pickup only, (seller wouldn't ship) and it was listed as a NY location. I thought for sure it would be in Albany or Long Island NY being I live in North Central Ohio........turned out to be Jamestown NY area east of Eire in about as far eastern NY State and probably near where the car is now. Can't believe that Reliable doesn't pick up there, I90 and I79 are less than 50 miles from there if it is in the Jamestown area? Hmmmmmm how quickly do you need to get it? I know one or two members from the A12 Registry that may be able to help and a couple of business associates over there that may be able to help? Is the car in the Jamestown, NY area or somewhere else?

Back