• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremek??

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you all are well and your Runners are treating you right.

OK, I've posted something similar before, but now it's decision time.

Been waiting for many months for the Passon Hemi OD 4 speed and no luck. Gears not in stock, etc.

How difficult is it to install the Tremek 5 speed into a 69 Runner with an existing 4 speed. My 505 stroker is almost ready and going with the Strange S-60 rear, likely with 3.55 or 3.91 gears. We're expecting pretty close to 600 HP and similar torque numbers so I'm not having too much faith in the existing 23 spline A833 and 8.75 rear.

I realize the tunnel needs to be cut, but is it worth it? I REALLY need another gear at highway speeds. All I can find online are "conversion kits" for cars that are an automatic. Where do you buy them, etc.?

Thoughts?

Best,
John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There is a whole lot less cutting with a gear venders OD. Geogie runs one behind his hemi.

quikbird

Reaction score
Gear vendors says no cutting at all. Couple well placed uses of a ford tool ( for those not aware, big f' ing hammer) on the tunnel and new drive shaft.

JJRJR

Reaction score
That's true, but the GV Overdrive does nothing to increase the strength of the 23 spline A833 correct? My issue is two-fold. 1) I need a 5th gear for highway driving, and 2) I need to upgrade to something that will handle the torque of a 505 stroker (about 600HP 600TQ). I think the GV overdrive only solves one of those issues, unless I'm not understanding how it works? Thanks,

John

moparchris

Reaction score
I would put ANY A833 against any of this newer 5 speed stuff. The A833 is a super strong trans, even the 23 spline. The tremec transmissions are weak by comparison. A well built A833 will take a pretty severe beating. Especially from a street car.

Back