• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truth be told!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
You guys will remember Big John's request for the body strip location dimensions. Well that was partly for me. I had picked up the kit but it didn't include where to locate the stripe. Well after I couldn't find them so I took my best guess where they go. Here are the results. Having never done this kind of thing it wasn't too bad to do. The main problems were getting the ends of each section to stick at the door gaps. I used their application gel, but I may have used too much. Even after allowing it to dry for the 3 hours they recommend I was having trouble with some of the tape coming off with the backing paper. In fact the other side, which already had an extra hour of drying, was still drying because of the stripe coming up when I pulled off the paper. It was hard to get a good picture with all the trees around my house, but I hope you get the idea. What do ya all think? Honest opinions now please!

moparchris

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I really like the look of the steelie/dogdish/polyglass combo. What a great car! GO GREEN!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I really like it! :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Don't know if it glows in the dark yet George, I will let you know. Harold, the fender tag, and the filled in holes at the base of the C pillars, tell me it had a vinal top. I've given a lot of thought to adding one, but if I do, it will be black!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve - that looks great! :thumbsup:

What did you do for placement instructions? Obviously, I never heard back from Craig on my request to get a copy of his... :brickwall:

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Steve - that looks great! :thumbsup:

What did you do for placement instructions? Obviously, I never heard back from Craig on my request to get a copy of his... :brickwall:

Ray
I used a modeler's trick. When they want to scratch build a structure from a photo they can figure out the size by measuring something in the photo of a known size and use that measurement to determine the scale. I was able to find a picture of a car with the stripe, so I measured the size of the stripe, and the distance from the top of the body line. Then I measured the bottom, wider part of the stripe. Then I measured the full size stripe from the kit. As near as I could tell the distance from the top is about the same as the width of the bottom stripe, or about a 1/4". So that's what I did. It wasn't as accurate a measurement as I would have liked but it was close enough.

glhcarl

Reaction score
Looks good.

My car came with the Sports Stripes (V6W). They were not re-installed after re-paint. But since I have the stripes I my install then one day.

I took a couple of pictures of the remnants of the stripes. Notice the difference in location between the drive and passenger door.[attachment=1:331z5d18]013 [].JPG[/attachment:331z5d18]

Roadcuda

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
Looks good.

My car came with the Sports Stripes (V6W). They were not re-installed after re-paint. But since I have the stripes I my install then one day.

I took a couple of pictures of the remnants of the stripes. Notice the difference in location between the drive and passenger door.[attachment=1:3qcznhbp]013 [].JPG[/attachment:3qcznhbp]

Gesh, Carl, the right is noticeably lower the the left. If you get a chance coudl you measure the left side, from the top stripe to the top bend of the door, or the shelf, I guess you'ld call it. That looks pretty close to where I placed mine.

glhcarl

Reaction score
Measured for the center of the crease to the top of the tape: its 3/16" on the driver door and 5/16" on the passenger door, an 1/8" difference. Knowing Chrysler's quality control in the 60's and 70's I would say thats as close as they need to be.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
glhcarl said:
Measured for the center of the crease to the top of the tape: its 3/16" on the driver door and 5/16" on the passenger door, an 1/8" difference. Knowing Chrysler's quality control in the 60's and 70's I would say thats as close as they need to be.
Thanks, Carl. :thumbsup: So 3/16" on one side, 5/16" on the other, and I used 1/4". Can't get much closer then that!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
glhcarl said:

Um, I believe that they call that "a production tolerance"... :lmao:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Looks good. It might not glow in the dark but it will be reflective when light hits it giving it the glow in the dark effect. Don't let Moparmoose see those pics - he'll come over to your house and try to take the car because it looks so much like his 1st one! :jester:

jays69bird

Reaction score
My car came with black accent stripes V7X,I wanted to put them on after the repaint could never find dimensions or a good pic of them,when I talked to Govier years ago he told me they were painted on as opposed to a tape like the sport stripe.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Looks good. It might not glow in the dark but it will be reflective when light hits it giving it the glow in the dark effect. Don't let Moparmoose see those pics - he'll come over to your house and try to take the car because it looks so much like his 1st one! :jester:

ya got that right mcmopar, i'm droolin here.. and it glows when light hits it for sure. love the car :banana: :banana: :cheers: :beep:

Back