• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED Two Groove Later Style Crank Pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

taguy16

Reaction score
According to my research these were used on both big block and small block engines as well as some V-6's - both without A/C - up until 1991. The outer groove on this model pulley is about 7 1/2" and the inner groove is about 6 1/2" give or take 1/8". I need one of these for my 400 engine.

Thanks.

taguy16

Reaction score
These guys might be able to help. https://bouchillonperformance.com
They want $92 for the pulley I need. Typical greedy Mopar parts seller. I'm not going to pay $92 for a double groove pulley because I'm not a rich tycoon (or a fool).

This was a very common pulley near as I can tell. probably being used on millions of vehicles over the years, especially in the cooler climate states where there were more non-A/C cars and trucks. Around here most vehicles were made with A/C because of the brutally hot and humid summers we have (the winters are brutally cold, too) so the pickin's are pretty slim on non-A/C pulleys.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So why not get the AC pulley one and just not worry about the extra pulley. Have you tried summit racing. May be cheaper. But it is amazing what they want for a pulley these day's for any application. :thumbsup2:

taguy16

Reaction score
So why not get the AC pulley one and just not worry about the extra pulley. Have you tried summit racing. May be cheaper. But it is amazing what they want for a pulley these day's for any application. :thumbsup2:
Unfortunately on Mopar engines A/C and non-A/C crank and water pump pulleys can't be interchanged for a number of reasons, including diameter differences and because they are so close together. For example, a non-A/C water pump pulley is so large in diameter it would hit the extra two pulleys on the crank meant for the A/C compressor belts. Also, the A/C pulley setup is such that you can't just go from the water pump to the alternator with a belt: because of the way the pulleys are arranged you have to have the A/C compressor pulleys included in the loop for everything to clear.

The A/C and non-A/C belt arrangements are completely different. I think this was poor thinking on the part of the designers of Mopar engines because if your air conditioning compressor clutch locks up on you out in the middle of nowhere you can't just cut the A/C belt so you can continue you on like you can on other makes of engines - you are stranded!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is a real problem. So now I see why you need that type of pulley. You wonder what they where thinking when building these car's. Good luck on you search buddy. Looking for that one part is hard. After looking for missing part's from this car I have can under stand your frustration. Yes and the price of even small pieces has been a real shock. But what could I do after all this car is 50 year's old and can't just run down and buy the part. Just like the trunk lid non reproduced. As you know I just wen though getting the rite Hood for the car due to they switched it. Their is an early and a late dated hood's for the 69 Runner. Don't figure but it is what it is. So Good luck on the search maybe you will luck out and find it. :thumbsup2:

Rich B

Reaction score
CC11F726-5A5F-4E1F-974A-78638AC356BD.png Yes indeed Chrysler was still dealing semantics even into late ‘70s. Forgot all about it but my Li’l Red had an extra sheave for A/C (no A/C though). Single belt had to have super tight tension on it or alternator pulley would slip and actually go into discharge mode. Took a few minutes to figure that one out. For some reason couldn’t eliminate it being half A/C ready. Was OK with me.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The 383 I have has a two belt pully. By adding after market AC was shipped a third bolt on pulley to add the Ac drive belt. Don't know how that is going to work but we will see.

taguy16

Reaction score
View attachment 29578 Yes indeed Chrysler was still dealing semantics even into late ‘70s. Forgot all about it but my Li’l Red had an extra sheave for A/C (no A/C though). Single belt had to have super tight tension on it or alternator pulley would slip and actually go into discharge mode. Took a few minutes to figure that one out. For some reason couldn’t eliminate it being half A/C ready. Was OK with me.
That's a weird pulley set-up alright. It almost looks like something that someone concocted to be able to get rid of the A/C compressor without having to change out all the pulleys to the non-A/C ones. I wonder what went into putting that together.

Well, I think I got lucky today. I drove out northeast of town to a salvage yard I used to go to (before the owner hired a crusher to come out and clear out the whole yard) to look for the pulley I need to complete the A/C delete project on my car. I knew it would be a long-shot because there are hardly any vehicles that got left behind, but fortunately there was an old Dodge delivery van there that had had the non-A/C pulley set-up I was after. The best part is I managed to get both the water pump and crank pulleys off successfully and I only had to give $10 for both of them. They're going to need some TLC to make them look presentable again, but $10 for two pulleys is a whole lot better than $92 (+ shipping) for one pulley.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is grate that you found what you where looking for. A little cleaning and painting will make them look new. Yes their are not a lot of junk yard's left that has the older car's. Even if you find one they are proud of the part's. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Russ. :thumbsup2:

taguy16

Reaction score
That is grate that you found what you where looking for. A little cleaning and painting will make them look new. Yes their are not a lot of junk yard's left that has the older car's. Even if you find one they are proud of the part's. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Russ. :thumbsup2:
Like I mentioned the sad part is all the salvage yards around here have either crushed all their old cars or closed down altogether (the really good yard we had here in town did both). The yard I found the pulley at that is located a few miles out of town used to have a multitude of old cars, trucks, and motorcycles including a few Mopars, several dozen Corvairs, and at least 20 Camaros and Firebirds, and now they hardly have anything left. The elderly owner of it recently had a bad stroke and according to his son who has been running it his family plans on selling it, so who knows what's going to happen to it.

I think it's important that we try to preserve the old cars that are left so future generations can learn to appreciate how great these cars are compared to the high tech over-engineered cars we have being built nowadays that IMO don't look near as good as old cars because of the out of whack proportions the lightweight bodies on them have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back