• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two questions, one: paint color two: posi conversion

nicanor

Reaction score
The car I bought but hasn't been delivered yet has the engine compartment and trunk painted R4. The color chart shows that as Barracuda orange. Did they paint Roadrunners this color?

Also what is it going to take to convert the 323 rear to posi?

Thanks,
Barry

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Here's your answer about paint:

http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4409

Posi? You gonna put a Chevy rear end in it? :lol: :lol:

Beat everybody to that one! :lol: :lol:

You can put a Sure-Grip rear in it. You'll need a center section (ebay, swap meets, ad here etc) with the gears you want with sure grip and assorted tools. Simplified version: pull wheels, brake drums and axle shafts. Change the center section and reassemble. About 3 hours if it's your first time. Go to our reference section and read the service manual and you'll see what needs to be done.

nicanor

Reaction score
Big John,

I guess thats funny. :acme: I'm too new to know. I saved a 69 Corvette from almost being cut up for parts to a completed non matching color Candy apple red show stopper, 350 dyno at 391 hp, 3:70, 700R4 trans. Thats not important, it was a posi. I thought (ignorant of me) that all high performance cars were built with posi. So I'm buying this 1969 Roadrunner 383 four speed what seems to be a stripped out (stock) family car. Bench front seat, simple looking gear shifter, no air, very simple dash and wanted to keep it numbers matching, but add a little muscle without changing the look of the car. So I didn't see myself going down to Race legal with the car with a non posi rear.

Grew up in Englishtown NJ home of Raceway park on the same road about one mile down. Lived there even before there was a track. Haven't raced since. Don't want to race the Corvette because cracking the fiberglass is a continued problem and painting a car candy apple red (6 coats of maroon, 7 coats of candy House of Color, and clear that makes the car look like its wet, racing the car is not an option at this time.

After 31 years in the Navy I have thick skin and appreciate people who can keep a subject light. :pot:

Thanks for the information. I have so much to learn.
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Your in good company, Big John is a Vette (Bricklin) guy also. Every company has a different name for no spin, posi, sure grip and the list goes on. Just like Chevy build sheet, Mopar Broadcast sheet, that's the one that sets me off :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Barry

Believe me, it's all in fun. That's why we have this forum is to have a little fun with it.

Posi, short for posi-traction, is a GM term that we hear every once in a while... And while it bothers some, it really doesn't bother me. I, along with some of the other knuckle heads here, will bust a few "stones" here and there about that.... and the term tri-power... and kickdown linkage and a few others I can't think of.

A lot of Roadrunners were built without sure-grip rears. It's a common change to have to make and there is a lot of us that have done it one way or the other. I think it was a cost cutting measure back then, but it was an option that wasn't checked off very often.

Believe me, while we like our old Mopars, there's a lot of us that appreciate ALL cars. I have a C4 Corvette, as do a couple others here. Hoosier has a 55 Chevy and Acme has a pink Camaro... or is that a Nash Metropolitan?? or maybe a Miatta with a rainbow stripe?? I don't remember.. but it's one of those.

But... it is all in fun. You won't find a better group that's willing to help and have some fun with. We aren't like other forums, it's more like having a beer with your buddies and talking about cars and life. I expect now this will turn into a GM v. Mopar terminology thread now... and we will let it go where it does, 'cause that's how we roll. :cheers:

Oh and let's see some pics of the Vette!!

A31PKG

Reaction score
MOPAR=Sure Grip
Chevy=Posi
AMC=Twin Grip
Ford=Traction Lock (?)

As long as they both smoke, we're good.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
MOPAR=Sure Grip
Chevy=Posi
AMC=Twin Grip
Ford=Traction Lock (?)

I'll add to this list:
Chevy's full name was Positraction
Fords went by Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
Olds were Anti-Spin
Pontiacs were Safe-T-Track
Bufords were Positive Traction

All good stuff, but I do chuckle when I hear a Sure Grip referred to as "posi"... :lol: :yesnod: :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
A31PKG said:
MOPAR=Sure Grip
Chevy=Posi
AMC=Twin Grip
Ford=Traction Lock (?)

I'll add to this list:
Chevy's full name was Positraction
Fords went by Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
Olds were Anti-Spin
Pontiacs were Safe-T-Track
Bufords were Positive Traction

All good stuff, but I do chuckle when I hear a Sure Grip referred to as "posi"... :lol: :yesnod: :lol:

Didn't mopar also have a limited slip? Just please don't paint the engine bay black :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Speaking of posi :lol: Here is the one I'm doing, I need to press one axle bearing and get the new brake cables and its out the door. It had an open 3:23 and we upgraded to a 3:91 sure grip

nicanor

Reaction score
Big John,

I only took your post as having fun. Corvette guys are too sensative. My wife has a 2003 Anniversary Edition Corvette and I the 69. I'll post some pics when I get home in a week.

My 69 RR has a 323 open. What the he!! oes that mean?

So I had a correction. The car's engine and trunk was painted R4, Barracuda orange. Think I'm going to stay with that.

The guy who sold me the car said the front seat was orginal and the back seat he wasn't sure. Did he or I get it backwardsd?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Looks good Bob, let the grandkids do the paint daubs did we? :lol:
I'm far from being a granddad as far as I know, that's my graffiti :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
nicanor said:
The guy who sold me the car said the front seat was orginal and the back seat he wasn't sure. Did he or I get it backwardsd?

Check your other thread.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

Wrong. Your son Stuie has kids... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

Wrong. Your son Stuie has kids... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Spidey I learned this from Dave :lmao:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
nicanor,

you can alot of GOOD info from the guys here on this site.

The open 323 means you only leave one black mark :lol:

You were lucky with the 323 mine came with a 276 open or one legger :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
moparchris said:
I think I saw ole Spidey out on Hollywood Blvd.! :basketcase:
SPIDEY HAS REALLY LET HIMSELF GO :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase:

That whole diabetes thing has taken a toll... :lol:

Back