• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undercoating...

chapdog105

Reaction score
How many guys are undercoated?

I saw a video of a 69 RR that was for sale that was undercoated because apparently the car came undercoated from the factory according to the build sheet, and they wanted it back to factory completely.

Personally, I hate the look of an undercoated car. But I do see the positives of having it done, especially living here in Michigan.

I know my car will never see salt.

My paint guy looked at me kinda crazy when I told him I just wanted it painted, no undercoating.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
chapdog105 said:

I saw a video of a 69 RR that was for sale that was undercoated because apparently the car came undercoated from the factory according to the build sheet, and they wanted it back to factory completely.

Personally, I hate the look of an undercoated car. But I do see the positives of having it done, especially living here in Michigan.

My paint guy looked at me kinda crazy when I told him I just wanted it painted, no undercoating.
Mine was under coated but that can be added at anytime. I went with the primed over spray factory look. But I don't live in the rust belt either. Its epoxy so it cleans well

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
My car still retains the factory undercoat. I hate it even though it probably helped with it's preservation. (Along with the all the different oil leaks it had) :lol: . If/when it's time to redo it I'll leave it out of the equation since the car only sees the sunshine. :cents:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
My car also still has some of the original undercoating. I was told by someone who had looked around under the car that it was amazingly in good shape with no rust anywhere. It was his opinion that in many cases that the undercoating often caused more rust problems then it prevented.

sparkey

Reaction score
Mine Has undercoating and the broadcast sheet says no undercoat. It was from the north but I don't think that is the only reason, being from the north. Here in florida undercoating was available at the dealerships. Marketing? I have been contemplating a concourse restoration on my car and of course undercoat would have to go. Don't like it anyway.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Mine still has the factory under coating on it and it will stay.

I live here in Michigan but my car has never been out in the winder months anyway in the last 34 yaers I know of :thumbsup:

droptop

Reaction score
I would say it depends on how you want to enjoy your car. If you plan on driving it, undercoat it. Helps cut down on road noise, and helps preserve it from the elements. If you plan to lay under the car and clean it, paint it body color. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mine was undercoated at the factory (it was ordered in Queens, N.Y.) and it is mostly all still there. When I had the front floor pans replaced I coated them with 2 coats of POR-15 and then shot undercoating over the top of the POR for good measure. The bottom of the car doesn't have to be pretty - just protected - because mine is a driver and here in Florida the humidity is atrocious - plus you never know when you might get caught in a downpour! If you are going for a concours or high quality restoration and you live in an area where rust isn't a problem then there is no need to undercoat the bottom of the car.

69B5

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Mine was undercoated at the factory (it was ordered in Queens, N.Y.) and it is mostly all still there. When I had the front floor pans replaced I coated them with 2 coats of POR-15 and then shot undercoating over the top of the POR for good measure. The bottom of the car doesn't have to be pretty - just protected - because mine is a driver and here in Florida the humidity is atrocious - plus you never know when you might get caught in a downpour! If you are going for a concours or high quality restoration and you live in an area where rust isn't a problem then there is no need to undercoat the bottom of the car.

X2

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
chapdog105 said:

Mine was under coated but that can be added at anytime. I went with the primed over spray factory look. But I don't live in the rust belt either. Its epoxy so it cleans well
Is that primer or a flat paint? I wonder because the cars that I have had over the years that were bare and then primed with epoxy usually had bleed through problems.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
chapdog105 said:

Is that primer or a flat paint? I wonder because the cars that I have had over the years that were bare and then primed with epoxy usually had bleed through problems.
Its epoxy primer over bare metal

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My car probably would be scraped out if it were not factory undercoated being out of NY and Ohio. :hack:

Back