• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper A-arms

RR383

Reaction score
How many of you have rebuilt your upper control arms? My '70 needs bushings ASAP...original. I've done this on another make vehicle...on that particular vehicle controlling/releasing the coil tension was the major factor. Does this hold true on these MOPARS?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Jack stands need to be under lower control arms or the torsion bar adjustment bolts need to be backed off so there is no tension.

Easier to use jack stands.

Big John

Reaction score
But.... If the upper bushings are shot... chances are the lower ones are toast too.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would inspect the ball joints also your going to be so deep into it! Pull the snubbers off the frame the the upper arms would rest on when lifted. Then lift the car and put jack stands under the frame rails. Now back the torsion bar adjusting bolts off no more tension and make sure the suspension is relaxed and the upper arms are resting on the frame. Now pull the torsion bar clips off the back end of the bars and remove the bars, there is a special tool for this. I have wrapped a chain around the bar and used a come along off the rear spring too pop them loose and never left a mark on the bars.Now you can remove both the upper and lower control arms. Service manual will walk you threw it. Do you have the tools to replace the bushings or farm that work out, it takes a press and special tools for the lowers to do it right?

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
Loosen tension on torsion bars.

Separate outer tie rod.

Separate upper and lower ball joints. I'd replace them too since it's apart.

Remove upper arms

Remove torsion bars

Remove strut bars. Replace those bushings too.

Remove lower control arms

I'm not going to get into details on each. Your FSM is your friend on most of this.

On assembly... This is very important.

Do not tighten bolts on upper and lower bushings until front end is fully assembled and car is at ride height. The bushings will tear if this is not done.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
First do a full inspection to see how far you need to go. No sense doing uppers just to take it apart again. Your talking wheel alignment each time

RR383

Reaction score
Alright then...I'm noting all of this...will read and understand the service manual...before I wrench on it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
If the parts look original. might as well get a front end kit and do it all at one time.

RR383

Reaction score
Ps, if you are thinking about switching to front discs, now is the time.

That would be the time....BUT...I'm concerned that by switching to front discs I would strip the car of its originality. On the other hand, if I were to find an OEM front disc brake kit it might be well worth the time and effort.

Back