• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper control arms and cam bolts

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The reason for this post is to get the facts out so we don't go in ten different directions I was asked by a couple of folks what I did on my car and here is my source. According to Plymouth Vehicle Restoration Reference Manual for b-body 1968-70 page 106. Upper control arms are natural in finish and the cam bolts,washers and nuts are in a black phosphate finish. These guys are OE judges so I'm not in a position to argue with them. Not out to hurt feelings or knock any ones cars we are not all about OE gold cars here on the board. I asked them about this topic over a year ago and the response was that the painted versions were over the counter replacements. Mine are not correct either because I painted them to look natural. No more rust for me :lol: If any one has a question on the type or finish of a fastener just PM me or go to MMC Detroit and order the book. Its 497 pages of info but they aint cheap

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a photo of the gas filler door/license plate bracket spring...kinda curious about the finish on that... :lol:

:cheers: :acme: :cheers:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I'd like to see a photo of the gas filler door/license plate bracket spring...kinda curious about the finish on that... :lol:

:cheers: :acme: :cheers:

:jester:
:toetap: :wedgie: :leg: :chuck: :jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm about ready to paint my upper control arms pink and then forge up some documentation to show that Q5 A-12 hardtops had pink upper control arms.

But seriously.... while the reference manual is probably right a lot more times then I am, I still really have to say that whatever was there got put on the car.

IMHO, there is no absolute "right" answer for these questions. There is only a "high probability" of what is correct.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
I'm about ready to paint my upper control arms pink and then forge up some documentation to show that Q5 A-12 hardtops had pink upper control arms.

But seriously.... while the reference manual is probably right a lot more times then I am, I still really have to say that whatever was there got put on the car.

IMHO, there is no absolute "right" answer for these questions. There is only a "high probability" of what is correct.
Your absolutely right John, never say never with ma mopar, this is what the judges will look for and maybe even let pass given the different vendors stamping them out. This is their bible but I bet they have these kind of discussions also. :cheers: But I'll be all over you if you go pink :lmao:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Bob, your car looks great.......however I do notice that you have a small scratch where the upper control arm goes into it's pocket. Just to the right of the control arm. Please be advised, this will result in a small deduction in points........ :lmao: Really, your car is awesome and I can only dream that mine will ever be that nice...... :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Bob, your car looks great.......however I do notice that you have a small scratch where the upper control arm goes into it's pocket. Just to the right of the control arm. Please be advised, this will result in a small deduction in points........ :lmao: Really, your car is awesome and I can only dream that mine will ever be that nice...... :thumbsup:
That pic was prior to touch up, I saw that coming when I posted it :wedgie: :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
more stuff I won't be worrying about.......cudos that "Best of Show" car Bob :drool:

Back