• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper control arms

Big Mo

Reaction score
I will be replacing the upper control arms. Have been told to use tubular. Is this is a good idea? Also what brand is a good choice?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If your not going to auto cross it why spend the money. If so go for it, you might feel a difference! Now if your going to get serious put a coil over k-frame in it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Do you really need to replace the upper A-arms?

I've never seen a set fail and unless they are damaged or extremely rusty, a good sand blasting, some black paint, new ball joints and bushings and you are done.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've never seen the a arms rust on a car, now the '70-'80s D series trucks, I've replaced several of them from bad rust.

Big Mo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. There are different ways to go, I really like the help this forum provides for shade-tree mechanic like me. Thanks again.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
trick is heating the hell out of them so the ball joint thread doesn't strip and the bushing holes can get damaged easy too, I've learned that the hard way.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ive never had trouble by using penetrating oil and an impact gun on the ball joint and cold pressing the bushings. It is a 55 dollar ball joint socket though.

Big Mo

Reaction score
The problem is mine were destroyed. Now I need to put new arms on. I really don't want Chinese on it. I am looking at what options I have that are reasonably priced.

zupanj

Reaction score
I put a set of Firm Feel tubular A-arms in mine. I don't know if they are really an improvement but they work fine and I like dealing with FirmFeel.

Back