• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

utahcarguy Intro

utahcarguy

Reaction score
I love cars because I can't help it! I'm not really sure why because no one else in my family likes classic cars. My first car in high school was a '65 Ford Falcon...and that was in 1997! I'm looking for a 1970 Road Runner. Right now I have a '61 Vette.

utahcarguy

Reaction score
FNG here

New guy here! I hope soon to be able to call myself a "Road Runner" owner, but right now I'm a want-to-be. I have a '61 Vette with Mechanical Fuel Injection, but now I am looking for a muscle car. I think a 1970 Road Runner would suit me perfectly. Before I pull the trigger (I'm close!), I wanted to run a few questions by the experts here. Since my questions range various categories, I thought I could list them here and if it was an issue, I could take down that part of the post.

I found a great '70 with a 440 auto. Two things the car is missing that I really want...pistol grip shifter and the air grabber (who doesn't want those options?!). I have seen that the air grabber can come in a kit but will set me back about $3k. Sound about right?

As far as converting to a manual, can I get the stock shifter look with a bench seat still? I found kits from searching the forum for about $4k, but I wasn't sure if I needed to convert to bucket seats as well.

Lastly, I know fraud can be a problem with these cars. What can I do to protect myself unknowingly buying a clone?

Thank you for your help in advance and I look forward to meeting you all virtually over time!

Last edited:

djais1801

Reaction score
First of all...welcome. my uncle has a few NCRS Top Flights: 54 Vette, 67 sting ray convertible...in terms of fraud, that's a broad term...if you're talking about whether it's a legitimate RR vs a Clone...than you need to verify the vin on dash, and make sure the body numbers coincide (radiator support, trunk gutter, fender tag, etc.
My friend is contemplating selling his 70 RR in B5 Blue, it was originally a 383, but now has a 440-6pak car and has an A/G...but is not an N96 car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yes the pistol grip shifter was available with the bench seat. check the vin number on the dash with the fender tag..on the driver's inner fender next to the battery, the vin is also on the radiator support and the drivers side of the trunk , under the weatherstrip.
welcome.

Ranger

Reaction score
:wave: No need to apologize. You are among fellow addicts. Thankfully, there is no cure.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found a great '70 with a 440 auto.

Lastly, I know fraud can be a problem with these cars. What can I do to protect myself unknowingly buying a clone?

Welcome.

Not sure how concerned with originality you are, but my forthcoming comments relate to the excerpts from your post above. If the 440 car referenced above is not a 440-6 barrel (V Code) or a Superbird, then you already have a red flag raised. The 440-4 bbl engine only came in the Superbird in 1970. Not a big deal as a ton of RRs have had their 383s swapped out for 440s over the years - just want to make sure that you are aware of this heading into a possible purchase. The guys have well outlined for you where to start looking for clues as to authenticity. Follow their suggestions and you should be able to buy with confidence. Good luck. :cheers:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.

I had a neat little '64 Falcon two-door my freshman year of college. Baby blue with the tire-shredding 170 and 2-spd slush box. Pretty sure those two speeds were "moving at the speed of smell" and "we're getting passed by that old man using his walker". It also apparently had the ultra-rare "auto-pilot option" as I have no idea how that thing got me home a few times...:facepalm:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah right. Perhaps my next feat of strength will be to ban any mention of F8... :basketcase:

:jester:

Back