• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover problems

72plymouth

Reaction score
I've put on new cork valve cover gaskets and my right side bottoms are leaking around the bolt holes..... some say don't use any gasket sealer. do you just put it on one side or not???:beep: want to do it the right way!

Ranger

Reaction score
When I replaced my cam last May there was a sealer on the valve cover gaskets that I had to scrape off. When I put it back together I used new gaskets and no sealer. Leaked oil and smoked like hell. So I tightened the cover down a bit more and ended up breaking the flange (cast aluminum black Mopar Performance covers). Can't buy one so I had to buy a set. Finally used so RTV and it is now dry. Pretty sure I used a light coat on both sides. I was NOT going to deal with another leak.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I use just enough on the valve cover to where they won't move around and let them dry before putting them on.

quikbird

Reaction score
I use the rubber gaskets and no sealer and few problems so far. for me the cork ones always leak. they may work great for somebody, but I haven't had any luck with them.

Mopar Vince

Reaction score
I always buy the felpro ones that are rubber over metal.
like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/VS50145R/10002/-1
I usually put a very thin coating of RTV on both sides.
I also use studs on the aluminum valve covers with a coarse and fine thread. That way you can be sure when they are tight and not just bottomed out giving you a false "tight".
You can get all of the studs you need plus a few extras by buying a stud set for a small block ford oil pan.
like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-360/overview/make/ford.
Oil leaks from the valve covers are a pain.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I use just enough on the valve cover to where they won't move around and let them dry before putting them on.

yeah but you got holes in your valve cover that RTV won't seal......

MadBird69

Reaction score
I've always used the rubber gaskets with no issues, and never had the need for sealer. They last longer, and to me they are much more durable. Never cared for the cork..

72plymouth

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the great imput! I'm not big on the cork kind either so I might go with the felpro hard gaskets.....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
attachment.php

yeah but you got holes in your valve cover that RTV won't seal......

Actually I could probably eliminate the valve cover bolts, the spark plug tubes add pretty good pressure to the cover :blah:

roadrunner restoration 683.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

72plymouth

Reaction score
Ok I got the valvecover to seal!!!:beep: now my intake is leaking front and back......dang!

Back