• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Covers

Rumrunner

Reaction score
Russ, Thanks for getting back to me.
It appears to be leaking behind the #8 cylinder just about the corner of the of the cover this time. It's not enough to notice the oil level drop but it still bug's me. I recently put it up on stands when I noticed it. I've had the covers off twice before and attempted to straiten the 56 year old valve covers. I'm using cork gaskets.
Any thoughts on the fabricated valve covers? Instead of the flange to secure on the stamped ones, the fabricated ones have no flange so they are wider.

Rumrunner

Reaction score
I looked and read over the two gaskets you sent attachments of and others. I decided on the Silicone w/fiberglass because the Moroso specs stated "Steel core gaskets may not fit valve covers with a gasket retaining lip." I have the original covers and believe they have the gasket retaining lip. Not positive I know what the gasket retaining lip is but I think I do. Also ordered some "spreaders" to distribute the pressure. I'll let you know.

Outsider

Reaction score
If the VC bolt holes are pulled down and recessed, and you put a straight edge like from a combination square, and find your covers need straightening, then carefully hammer the cover edge back to flat. If your VC rails are good you likely have an irregular, as cast, VC rail on the head. When I set up my heads for racing I always mill the head rail as I have found some heads with as much as 3/16" rail overall deviation, and that makes it hard to seal. That said, aftermarket VC hold downs that spread the clamping will help, (you can even use some made for Chevys if you do a little grinding on them), and like mentioned previously, the Moroso and the Mr. Gasket premium gaskets will help, but you may need longer hold down bolts or studs.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
When putting my intake gasket on did not put sealer on my bolts. Had leaks from day one. This time I did put liquid Teflon pipe dope on them. :lol:

Back