• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Covers

Collin

Reaction score
My stock 383 valve covers are pitted and beyond repair. Trying to find another pair on the ebay or something. Is 69 a specific year for valve covers, or will stock 70 covers fit as well. They look very similar, but there may be a whole lot that I am missing.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
The 68 and 69 are the same. The 70 is different. They will work though. PCV placement different, breather cap versus cap etc.

solid gold

Reaction score
Keep looking on E-Bay. They come and they go.When I was looking for a set, there was none on auction. Then after I overpaid for a set that was supposed to be" ready for paint", (as you can see they weren't),there must have 4 sets on the bay! I have a decent set of 70 covers, (taken off my 383) , but they wouldn't be correct for your car, although they will fit. I would try to get the 69 covers, if you can. Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
The 68 and 69 are the same. The 70 is different. They will work though. PCV placement different, breather cap versus cap etc.

68 & 69 are NOT the same...68's have the bracket/pedestal for the heater hose retainer (& a/c lines-if equipped) spot welded on the passenger side cover... Not sure about the 70 HP valve covers being the same as 69 ?
:thumbsup:

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Awe crud. That means those 68's on my factory warranty block won't look right. A 31 is it just the brackets that are different on the passenger side?

That is my donor block. Or are they 69's on there? Anything is possible over the last 41 years.

A31PKG

Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
Awe crud. That means those 68's on my factory warranty block won't look right. A 31 is it just the brackets that are different on the passenger side?

That is my donor block. Or are they 69's on there? Anything is possible over the last 41 years.

Those appear correct for 69...I've attached a couple of pics (that I stole from Clark Classic Restorations) of the 440 of a very nicely restored 68 Coronet R/T (same configuration as our beloved 383's)... these two pics illustrate the heater hose pedestal deal...I might add that I believe the retaining clamp they are using (in the upper pic) is for an A/C application...non A/C cars have a smaller (shorter) clamp....This is just my opinion based on my own research...Both styles can be purchased from a variety of vendors...

Collin

Reaction score
If I have the engine shop dip and strip the valve covers, any chance I could use a bondo on them? There is some pitting, but thats about it....

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I have some brackets that were painted black that have a little fill and then built up primer. It should work as long as it is thin and prepped properly.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
A little fill in the pits won't hurt. Worst thing that would happen is you have to pull off the valve covers and redo them or find others.

The important part is you find the configuration of where the PCV, oil fill and breather are. There are different versions used in C-bodies that will only need to have a bracket or two removed.

Back