• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Covers

JJRJR

Reaction score
So, it turns out that all I needed to do was tighten the bolts on the covers and the leak appears to have stopped. What is the trick to getting a socket on those bolts. The MP covers leave ZERO room between the cover and the bolt to get a socket in there, so it was a real pain in the ass.

Can I get a thinner walled socket someplace? Put her up on ramps and she looks pretty good. Looks like the oil was leaking from the bottom of the valve cover and all down the headers, so it got them pretty oily.

Need to get a better socket though, any ideas??

Thanks,

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
Oh well, not as easy as I thought. Still leaking onto headers, can't tell where from, maybe the bottom end of the valve cover gasket. Seems to have fixed the leak on top, but still something coming out. Have to get up on a lift.

dutchrunner

Reaction score
Had torx bolts on mine.
Or get allen bolts.
No room issues as the spanner goes inside bolt and not around.

JJRJR

Reaction score
dutchrunner said:
Had torx bolts on mine.
Or get allen bolts.
No room issues as the spanner goes inside bolt and not around.

Great idea!! Thank you.

droptop

Reaction score
1/4" drive 12 point socket is what I used with no issues. What kind of gaskets did you use? Over tightening will ruin some types of gaskets.

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:
1/4" drive 12 point socket is what I used with no issues. What kind of gaskets did you use? Over tightening will ruin some types of gaskets.

Don't know what gaskets Gary used. I bought a set of MP. Looks like I'll need to change them. I did use a 1/4" drive and a deep 12 point, but still no room between cover and bolt to get in there. It's a slow process, but we were able to get them tighter. Bad design if you ask me.

I like the allen bolt idea.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
get some cheap Chinese sockets from Harbor Frieght,Big Lots,etc. usually really thin walled.

Back