• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve train noise

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You will need new push rods and valve covers if you don't have room and will most likely still have lifter noise.

‘69_Sunfire_RR

Reaction score
You will need new push rods and valve covers if you don't have room and will most likely still have lifter noise.
Okay, thank you for that detail. I want to keep the engine looking original so I’ll stay with what I have. Thank you!

moparchris

Reaction score
Stock rockers will put .015 to .017 preload on the lifter. Thats with the stock .015" head gasket. Most aftermarket head gaskets are about .040" thick so you loose most of your preload. When the oil is cold it'll work well but when the oil gets warm it won't do so well. The conclusion is that its normal and the thicker oil won't really do much but might make it a little better. The good news is that less preload makes more power.

‘69_Sunfire_RR

Reaction score
Stock rockers will put .015 to .017 preload on the lifter. Thats with the stock .015" head gasket. Most aftermarket head gaskets are about .040" thick so you loose most of your preload. When the oil is cold it'll work well but when the oil gets warm it won't do so well. The conclusion is that its normal and the thicker oil won't really do much but might make it a little better. The good news is that less preload makes more power.
Thank you!

‘69_Sunfire_RR

Reaction score
B
Just turn up the radio and you will never here the noise from the motor. :lol:[/QUOTE
Blasphemy! All you should ever want to hear is the sound of your Mopar Big Block. Who needs a radio!? I have the original radio in the car but it’s only for purposes of entertaining guest riders. I have better things to do than listen to the radio when I’m driving. :moparsmiley: :beep:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well it is like this I like hearing the motor and the cherry bomb's roar. But when turning on the 60 - 70 music it take's me back to those time's. Have fun bud and no offence meant. :thumbsup:

‘69_Sunfire_RR

Reaction score
Well it is like this I like hearing the motor and the cherry bomb's roar. But when turning on the 60 - 70 music it take's me back to those time's. Have fun bud and no offence meant. :thumbsup:
I hear you man! I was just messing with you about the radio bit. I couldn’t agree more. There is a lot of good music to listen to when enjoying our cars, that’s for sure! Enjoy your car as well!:thumbsup:

Back