• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent Windows

Collin

Reaction score
(Remember that I am pretty new to this, so if this is a dumb question you know why haha.)

Is there anyway to just remove the vent windows from the door. My doors are nice and so is the glass, but the chrome trim for the vent window has seen better days. I have not been able to find just the vent windows to install, and I know on many doors sold the vent windows are always attached. How can I just remove the vent windows and install a new housing? And where would I find new vent window housings?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Collin - just a quick thought for you relative to questions: No question is dumb and there isn't anyone that posts on this forum that will blast you out of the water for asking how, what, when, or why on any subject. The veterans on this site certainly tease and pummel one-another about the head in the name of good fun, but you never have to worry about anyone seriously jumping down your throat for asking a question...

That being said, I personally can't give you the blow-by-blow on this one as I haven't done this operation on a RR - I have taken the vent windows out of my Swinger more times than I can count and the procedure is probably similar, but I'm sure that much more accurate help will be on the way shortly... I just wanted to make sure that you aren't gunshy about asking questions; after all - how else are you going to learn?

:jester:
ACME

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Collin - just a quick thought for you relative to questions: No question is dumb and there isn't anyone that posts on this forum that will blast you out of the water for asking how, what, when, or why on any subject. The veterans on this site certainly tease and pummel one-another about the head in the name of good fun, but you never have to worry about anyone seriously jumping down your throat for asking a question...

That being said, I personally can't give you the blow-by-blow on this one as I haven't done this operation on a RR - I have taken the vent windows out of my Swinger more times than I can count and the procedure is probably similar, but I'm sure that much more accurate help will be on the way shortly... I just wanted to make sure that you aren't gunshy about asking questions; after all - how else are you going to learn?

:jester:
ACME
Ask away, any question, if anyone blows you any crap then we have a way of dealing with him....... :chuck:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I think years ago I concluded the only way is to take the whole rig out. There is something in there that you can't get loose w/o doing the whole surgery...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
pretty simple to take the vent frame out(must be if I can do it)
with the door open,look at the front of the door, the part that is hidden by the fender. you will see a nut. that's one,look at the door,below the vent, towards the front. you'll see two body plugs. behind those are two nuts or bolts.you'll need to take the door glass out as well(first). The small triangular rubber at the top of the vent frame is held in with a Phillips screw. pop out the center of the two plastic retainers that hold the glass to the regulator, and the door glass will come right out. Then remove the bolts for the vent frame, and it should come out pretty easy. Take your time, and look over the vent frame, there MIGHT be one more bolt...it's been a while since I did one.

Collin

Reaction score
Sounds good. I will try this once I get home...and once I locate a replacement. I have the door panels off the car right now (really no interior at the moment) so this should make it a good time to get in there. Thanks!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Collin, I recently saw some vent window assemblies on the e-rag, but I think they were at a BIN price of $150. ea. I just replaced one on my car, still have the other to do. I found mine at one of the online salvage yards. (Texas Acres) Dave is correct in that there are two plugs in the front inside of the door. At the rear of the vent window in the upper door panel you'll also see a small plug about 3/8" in size, behind this one there is a fastener that will need a small allen wrench. It wasn't real easy to find, and I would try and get some of your favorite rust loosener and spray it first. I was lucky that it came loose without any trouble. You will also need to remove the inner door panel. At the bottom of the frame is a bracket with a loop at the end of it. This will slide onto a rod that is anchored on the inside bottom of the door. I'm not sure if there should be a nut on that rod to help in adjustment or not. Mine didn't have one. Then the rest is as Dave said. I just wish I knew what Dave said about taking the window out. I'll just say that I learned the hard way!

toms69rr

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a couple for sale
No pitting in the chrome,just a little hazing.
40.00 to 60.00 a piece. plus shipping
He has a right and left
Give me a pm and I will give you a Phone #

Tom

Back