• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage spike

rustyiron

Reaction score
I had started the car monitoring the charging voltage and it was hovering around 13.8V and all of a sudden the dome light became really bright I looked at the voltmeter underneath the dash and noticed the needle at 16V for a few seconds then returned to normal. I am thinking the voltage regulator is acting up and needs to be replaced. It is a square back alt and two wire 70 style charging system.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Also make sure the reg has a good ground. Had one fry that I bolted on and didn’t clean the paint on the back. Started adding a dedicated ground after that, just like I do for ecu boxes. I’ve found the cars do sooooo much better with good grounds. I gave up on stock looks as I noticed a difference for every ground I added or tried to take back off for originality. So they all go on now as needed. Going to be tough on the new car. As it’s so original, but on the test drive I saw the amps bouncing around. Then settle.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So many times we just do not have good ground's. So think they get over looked for cleaning and making sure they are tight connection's. Unlike the positive lead's that we clean and make sure they are a tight connection. Just my two cent's.

Back