• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning if your living in Illinois!

railrider

Reaction score
If you live in Illinois and plan to buy a classic car be sure to get a Bill of Sale. In the past if you bought a car older than 1980 you paid $25 & went on your way. Now the IRS sends you a Bill a few months later for tax on your car as if it is a MINT condition car. I registered a 67 Coronet I paid $6000 for and they wanted $1736+ I had to make a ton of calls and send it all kinds of paper work to get it dropped. Now they are doing it again on my 69 GTX and its a rusty hunk! Guess I was stimulating the economy too much without them! GRRR! :brickwall: ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
railrider said:
If you live in Illinois and plan to buy a classic car be sure to get a Bill of Sale. In the past if you bought a car older than 1980 you paid $25 & went on your way. Now the IRS sends you a Bill a few months later for tax on your car as if it is a MINT condition car. I registered a 67 Coronet I paid $6000 for and they wanted $1736+ I had to make a ton of calls and send it all kinds of paper work to get it dropped. Now they are doing it again on my 69 GTX and its a rusty hunk! Guess I was stimulating the economy too much without them! GRRR! :brickwall: ?
That's :loco: In Az they take original sale price and devalue because of the taxes paid in the past. All my old stuff is $10 a year Now if you buy from a lot that charges taxes you get hit with sales tax, and new cars are high.

Back