• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

water on front floor boards

Dave

Reaction score
just washed my 69 rr and there was a lot of water on the front floor pans looked like there was more on the driver side. anybody ever have this happen to them? could it be comming from the air vents? also i just bought this car and it has the air grabber option but there is no inside cable that i can find to operate it so i was wondering if the vents are opened or closed and if they are opened now could water get into the air cleaner/ carb area?

Reaction score
Do you have the one piece firewall/cowl gasket with the grommets molded into it? Those have a tendency not to seal so well and will let water through also.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and I agree with Bobbie agreeing aith George.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
this did happen to me. on the cowl there are places that water is meant to drain along both sides. when my car was in the paint shop the body guy had to clean them out, they were plugged with blasting sand. he was wet sanding the car and the water was running into the grill on top of the cowl and coming in both openings for the fresh air vents inside the car. that is my two cents.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
and I agree with Dave agreeing with Bobbie agreeing with George

Dave

Reaction score
does anybody know if water can get inside the engine compartment if the air grabber hood vents are in the open position? i cant find the inside cable that controls them so i dont know if they are opened or closed

MsBeep

Reaction score
does anybody know if water can get inside the engine compartment if the air grabber hood vents are in the open position? i cant find the inside cable that controls them so i dont know if they are opened or closed

Could you post a picture of your under hood/ engine compartment with a close up of the passenger side firewall, left of the wiper motor? There should be a grommet for your fresh air cable near the voltage regulator. If anything, you might get some water inside your air cleaner/ carb assembly...

Just remembered: A single cable attaches the right and left outer air intake duct door actuator arms. These doors are controlled by a single master control cable attached to the lower reinforced portion of the instrument panel. If your master cable is missing, you should be able to reattach the replacement to the outer duct door actuator arms with spring type retainers. Good news: the door cable and master control cable are serviced separately. Bad news: may be hard to find pieces.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the original control cable is a vent cable, even says vent on it. it should have a red tin piece bent over that says carb air. yeah it coupld posibly get some water in thru the air cleaner, but unless you're driving thru a typhoon it wouldn't be enough to worry about.I came home in my old truck in a heavey downpour, and the air cleaner was one of those discount parts srore open jobs. i was getting enough rain in the engine compartment that the engine was running really rough, but that was several years ago and that engine is in my current truck.

MsBeep

Reaction score
Hi Dave: Here is the picture regarding wiper arm post grommet/gasket position and maybe more enlightenment per PM today.
Wiper Pivot Gasket .jpg

Hope this helps...

Wiper Pivot Gasket .jpg

MsBeep

Reaction score
the original control cable is a vent cable, even says vent on it. it should have a red tin piece bent over that says carb air. yeah it coupld posibly get some water in thru the air cleaner, but unless you're driving thru a typhoon it wouldn't be enough to worry about.I came home in my old truck in a heavey downpour, and the air cleaner was one of those discount parts srore open jobs. i was getting enough rain in the engine compartment that the engine was running really rough, but that was several years ago and that engine is in my current truck.

:yeathat:

Dave ( Junior Member ) will be glad to hear you concur!:courage:

Back