• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weak/no spark 440 help fast please!

Doktor Quad

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm at my wits end with this thing. Long story short, buddy is getting divorced and selling his project but I told him I would at least get it running to net him some extra money. I should have listened when he said it was a lost cause

Anyway it's a 73 road runner with the 440 and auto transmission. Everything in the ignition is new. 4 prong ignition control module, 2 prong resister ballist, voltage regulator, accel coil, distributer, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and it has no spark or maybe every 4-5 seconds of cranking I'll get a faint glow on the spark tester light. Bypassed the whole car and ran a 12v wire to the register ballist positive end and still nothing. Ran direct ground to the back of the Igniton control module to the negative and still not vroom vroom.

Coil is getting power, all wires have continuity, distributer was picking up the gear and sending a feed to the igniton module. I'm so stumped. I'm not good with old cars but I've been reading and testing threads on every forum site and I just cant get it to spark.

Please send your thoughts. I want to try to get this running before he sells this ole girl for less than he deserves. I'm picking it up tomorrow (Jan 5th 2019) and bringing it to my garage to work on it more.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Make sure the block has a good ground to it. Dose the distributor have point's or a spur sprocket and ignitor. Check the gap on it. Could be bad coil or wired wrong. Just a few thing's to check. Welcome aboard. Russ.

Rich B

Reaction score
Agree with reverse polarity to coil. Duh, yup- did it myself one day with mine, cold winter morning on back country road. Too cold, positive I was connected right- but not. Then put your distributor in 180 degrees off lmao. Was always changing from mechanical dual point to vac./mechanical advance back to single point OEM. Mileage a killer with the quick advance timing, early-mid ‘70’s.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to add. Had a four cylinder motor on a well rig. Several month's before while it was in the yard put new point's-condenser- plug's wires - rotor cap- new coil. While drilling several well's. After a few month's went buy. The motor started to shut down for no reason. Thinking I had replaced all those part's it had to be a gas issue. Ran new fuel lines and filter. Even cleaned the gas tank. I would crank run good then spit-spudder or just shut down like you turned off the switch. So bought all the new electrical parts. Went out and started to rip every thing off and replace them. When pulling off the coil put it down and my son picked it up and shook it. It rattled. My son said hey dad is this suppose to sound like this. I took it shook it and looked at the label made in Mexico. Dam I was mad as hell. I cost me 1500 dollar's in lost time and part's. So make sure you get a good coil even if you have to go to NAPA.

Rich B

Reaction score
4A4934E1-ADB9-4942-9064-5C899216C934.jpeg What was it in the day with the new ACCEL 40k volt coil? Had to add an extra ballast resistor in series with existing to lower point voltage down even more. Must of been something to that, never had a misfire with one of those.

Last edited:
Back