• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird Problem

dobie

Reaction score
After a few days of messing with it, it kinda seems as though it's wiring issues. At this point I have to check to see if there's power coming out of the ignition switch into the plug for the starter relay.

We'll see...........

:crazy:

A12

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
dobie....do what Basketcase said....pull the bulkhead connector and clean it up

I did that somewhat last night. I also tried starting it by jumping the relay. At first, she wouldn't crank at the relay. Then I crawled underneath to jump it at the starter. She finally cranked at the starter. I now can crank her at the relay too. I gotta wait now till I get a second set of hands to see if I have power coming out of the bulkhead into the yellow wire for the starter relay.[/quote]
Those bulkhead connections gave me grief also. I replaced every one of them with Napa part number 725147 and 725145. (little beefier) I crimped and soldered each one with the exception of the two wires going to the ammeter. I replaced those with number #8 gauge wire and ran them straight through the bulkhead to the ammeter. You have to drill out those two slots on the bulkhead to do this. Also leaving about 6 inches of extra wire under the dash so you can unplug the bulkhead if you need to. Little black RTV in those two bulkhead ammeter holes only on the engine side, and you can unplug it, and it still looks stock. Don't know if this will help, just thought I would share. After all, isn't that what P-BO would want. (sharing) P-BO = President barack obama............Jim[/quote]

YEP, had similar problems with the bulkhead connections too. Spent a few hours just cleaning and making sure they were inserted into each other and knock on wood things have been okay since. Looking at this one it looks like a candidate for the same clean up.......this is the 5600 mile A12 Bee survivor

MikeR

dobie

Reaction score
Well, for the update:

I finally found the problem yesterday. In going thru things I discovered that the main red wire feeding into the ignition switch harness had broken off. The terminal was left inside the harness with the wire out slightly. After a new wire was spliced in, I'm back in business, for now......... Just in time for the rain and upcoming snow..........

Anyways, thank you guys. I suppose I'll be turning my attention to my truck now as it has "issues" of course.......

:cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
Well, for the update:

I finally found the problem yesterday. In going thru things I discovered that the main red wire feeding into the ignition switch harness had broken off. The terminal was left inside the harness with the wire out slightly. After a new wire was spliced in, I'm back in business, for now......... Just in time for the rain and upcoming snow..........

Anyways, thank you guys. I suppose I'll be turning my attention to my truck now as it has "issues" of course.......

Don't you really feel like you accomplished something when you finally find a problem like that?

dobie

Reaction score
Yepper! For sure. It's nice to be able to turn the key and go again.

Back