• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well there's your problem !

69383RR

Reaction score
With the windshield in I thought we could take the old girl for a maiden spin around the block, wrong ! It was immediately apparent there was a problem , best described as a growling sound from deep below in the nether regions . Put her back up on the jacks and she didn't sound good at all . My buddy recognized the sound and to our dismay we pulled the transmission . Sure enough the output bearing was bad and there was a little play in the input bearing so we replaced both , we don't want to do this again anytime soon if we can help it . The inside looks very nice and clean , no debris ,no filings . New gasket kit should be in tomorrow and so far everything is going back together quite nicely, knock on wood .
When everything is said and done ,any recommendations for best gear oil , brand / weight ?

trans011_zpsd26e3490.gif

trans002_zps880cc7ec.gif

trans010_zpse9957eb4.gif

Last edited:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
You asked for any recommendations for best gear oil , brand / weight?

I have always heard for northern climates you should use automatic trans fluid; however, I have never used AT fluid in a manual gear box. I am using Lucas 80W-90. Remember I live in FL so the climate is different.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Your going to get Gear oil answers from ATF like the factory used to 90W in warm country. I wasn't sure myself so I used Pennzoil Synchromesh trans oil. It appears to be about 40W or a little heavier.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Your going to get Gear oil answers from ATF like the factory used to 90W in warm country. I wasn't sure myself so I used Pennzoil Synchromesh trans oil. It appears to be about 40W or a little heavier.

You use 40W out there in the Desert, are you worry that the heat will cause the fluid to thin out too much? Granted it isn't as thin as ATF.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
No. If you buy gear oil from the guru at Passon Performance its also pretty light. I would have to go back to my service manual today and look but I believe it recommended 30W in warm climates. The lighter you go the faster they shift.

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
You know how there's that additive for your motor oil , and also for rear end oil , so I was wondering if there was anything spechel for these older manual transmissions . I heard there's spechel formulas for the automatics to help them run quieter and smother , but not sure about the manuals .

69383RR

Reaction score
I guess 4speed69RR is the closest so far according to the fellows at our local NAPA shop. They recommend Valvoline 75/110 for extreme high/low temperature . They sure make it sound good .

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The factory (New Process Gear, here in Syracuse) used ATF only in newer transmissions. Probably 80's and up. I'm not even sure they used it in the overdrive 4speeds.

In other words, don't use ATF.

BTW, thanks to Damilar Benz, the NPG factory closed a couple years ago. They sold it to a Canadian company that shifted (LOL) the manufacturing to Mexico. We used to do some work for them.

droptop

Reaction score
I always use 90W in manual trans and diffs. If it is a sure grip diff, put in the additive that is recommended. No additives for the trans.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just checked my 1969 Plymouth service manual which is also in the tech section and it calls for either Automatic trans fluid or multi purpose gear lube for manual trans. So any thing goes but I would go heavier in warm areas. ATF is 5W

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've always used gear lube...90/140? the only time I ever had hard shifting was taking the car out over the winter and the trans loosens up afyer a few minutes.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I've always used gear lube...90/140? the only time I ever had hard shifting was taking the car out over the winter and the trans loosens up afyer a few minutes.

Do you still remember how to drive it :acme::jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
starting to wonder, and I'm afraid the fire is going out.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
i'm running 95 140, but I only really drive in the late spring to early autumn and our summers run into the 90s frequently

Back