• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a 69 worth?

mogydog

Reaction score
found a 69 original 383 car, has 4 spd and 440 in it, descent shape, kinda rusty, sub frame is pretty bad, but see that yearone has sub frame pieces to fix the original, beep beep horn is there and steering wheel, all glass, complete interior?black, split bench seat with hurst 4 spd on floor, rear end is smooth like a pumpkin, vin number is RM23H9A121823. not sure if the engine is high performance though, sound like a good car? what do u think it's worth? thanks!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Hard to say w/o pics. Sounds like it needs some critical areas repaired. Proceed with caution. Lotta stuff for sale right now, so don't be afraid to pass on one that seems hard to figure out. What is the asking price?

Year One has some nice parts but it way high on most things. They tend to have to run 30% off sales anymore to move stuff.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Yes, be very careful. I just paid $6,500 for basically a shell with a 383 4 speed in it. My untrained eye couldn't see all the work it needed and it's gonna cost me twice what I thought it would. At the end of the day, it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. If you have the time and the money, a couple extra thousand up front for the car is no big deal if it's the one you want.

Good luck. Post pics and maybe I can let you know how it looks compared to mine.

Best,

John

sam z

Reaction score
I can't believe what these things go for some times. I didn't steal my car but sometimes I feel
like I did.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
sam z said:
I can't believe what these things go for some times. I didn't steal my car but sometimes I feel
like I did.
I know what you mean Sam. I sometimes feel the same about my car when I bought it 6 years ago. I had been watching the prices for a while and this was definitely on the lower end of the price range for a turn key car. Unless you really want to restore a car yourself Mogydog, I would suggest that you find one already done. In the long run it would be much cheaper then restoring it yourself, and you'll have the satisfaction of just getting in the car and driving it instead of trying to find the parts you need. But I do have to give those who want to do their own restoration credit. I imagine that it much be very satisfying to know that you did all the work on it and then to enjoy driving it. How about you guys who have restored your cars. Was it really worth all the hassles and work that goes into it?

nicanor

Reaction score
With regards to my 69 Corvette, no. There are too many of them and they can be found relatively cheap complete. But this Road Runner is giving me fits and I like it like that. Also, you don't very many of them around. Still would trade it for a Charger at this point.

69B5

Reaction score
Welllll, let me see. Was it worth all the hassel restoring my two Mopars?
Yes if your patient and you want the personal satisfaction of putting a car together.
No if you think you can save ton's of money doing it yourself and/or farming out what you can't do.
Unless the car is rare, I'd recommend buying one finished or allmost finished.
Just my :cents:

BBillyC

Reaction score
Great question! In my case the 69 I bought which looked like a turn key operation I paid 18 five. When I received it, it certainly wasn't worth what I paid. It was completely rusted out but the frame was decent so I din't have to repair much of the frame. As for the body it was shot including the front and rear windows. An extra 25K in parts and engine rebuild completed it....and I did absolutely all the work myself. Would I get a return on the investment....absolutely not, but I love the car. It is fast and looks great and gets lots of attention. So the A12 that is for sale sounds reasonable to me but you'll have to spend several thousand dollars on getting it back into shape even if you do all the work yourself. If you farm it out add 70% more.

Moparnut

Reaction score
I recently sold my 68 RoadRunner, Omaha Orange 440 auto after owning since 1997. I completely rebuilt the car, doing everything myself except the paint. I have searched all summer looking for a turn key car at a fair price, but just bought my project A4 car. I'm thinking I was way too fussy about the quality of other people's workmanship. Every car I looked at had something that made me walk away. My budget was $25k, and I thought in this market I could get a nice 69. Maybe I didn't wait long enough, but it's too late now, no turning back til it's done.
It depends on your passion and skill- If you can fit and weld, go for it. If you'll be paying someone else to do the work, find a more solid, complete car.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I basically stole my car and then dropped 40k into it and all the labor was me other than body and paint which included outer wheel houses trunk floor and quarters which was around 16k including metal. And this was a complete car to start with.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Prices are down across the board from 5-6 years ago. Nonetheless, nicer restorations, clean survivors, and of course any 6BBL or Hemi car, will still command the highest $$. I went to a show this past Saturday and there was a beautiful 69 Spring Special car there that came from Best of Show in Charlotte. The owner didn't say - nor did I ask - but the word on the street was mid 30's (it may have been on ebay at some point). It was a Hardtop, non-vinyl, 383 4speed with N96. Simply a gorgeous car, albeit with a few minor - but easily correctible - boo boos. Considering that it would take 40-50K to build a car like that (depending on what you started with) I'd say the price was right.

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
brought home my RR for 8500. it was drivable, had a decent interior. There was some stuff missing off of it, but for the good frame rails, 80 percent good body, and 90 percent of the parts still on it, I myself think it was worth it. Cuz well... its purty :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I basically stole my car and then dropped 40k into it and all the labor was me other than body and paint which included outer wheel houses trunk floor and quarters which was around 16k including metal. And this was a complete car to start with.
Bob, was it still worth it with all the trouble you had getting that body work done, and the headaches that went with that?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
Bob, was it still worth it with all the trouble you had getting that body work done, and the headaches that went with that?
Oh sure no doubt, I was just expressing how much you can drop into one of these things after you get it, and that all depends on the grade of restoration also. I would stay away from collision restoration shops after what I went through.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I would stay away from collision restoration shops after what I went through.

Collision Shops that do resto work on the side = Paint Jail.
Been there. Done that. Slow sledding... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Great if you're not in a hurry and looking to save a few coins...just to give some props to the other side of the equation... :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Great if you're not in a hurry and looking to save a few coins...just to give some props to the other side of the equation... :thumbsup:

It sucks when a "restoration" shop discovers they can't pay the bills and takes in collision work, while your beloved classic sits in a dusty corner as a work bench....As above, been there done that.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

It sucks when a "restoration" shop discovers they can't pay the bills and takes in collision work, while your beloved classic sits in a dusty corner as a work bench....As above, been there done that.
That's exactly what happened at the 1st shop and then I ran into the owner of the building who told me to get the car out before he closes the guy down.

Back