• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this.... Water??

dobie

Reaction score
I added some oil today to the RR. Upon looking at the breather, I noticed this stuff. What the heck is this from, and should I be worried?? Bigger problems ahead????

Thanks!

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I;d say it's water Steve. I've seen that in breathers, and even on dipsticks of some of my trucks. Ran them for years without any trouble. Be interested to hear what the smart guys say about it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Its most likely condensation. Pull the dip stick and see what that looks like. If there's a lot, there may be other issues.

Get the engine up to temperature and drain the oil while its still hot. Keep an eye on it, but you're probably OK.

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! Actually, the dipstick was clean. No signs of this stuff. I guess that's why I never noticed it before.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I agree with John, If it sits alot and the drives are short condensation happens. Unless you live in the desert.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, it sat about a week before today. After I checked it once, I went out again. When I came back home, there was less than before. These are the pics from the second trip out.

I'll have it out tomorrow, so I'll check it again.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
just as long as the oil on your dip stick isnt milky brown your ok....if it gets like that it could be a sign of a blown head gasket coming

dobie

Reaction score
The oil on the dipstick was nice and clean. No signs there.

Actually, a blown head gasket wouldn't bother me much right now, as I'm just a few weeks from tearing things down...... :devil:

69runner

Reaction score
Certianly it is moisture from condensation. This usually happens when these old gals are run in cool or cold weather for relatively short distances and don't get a chance to get real good and warm. Especially if there is a problem with the crankcase ventilation system (PCV) or alot of cylinder blow-by. If you are not loosing any coolant you will be fine.

Back