• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of gauges are we using under the dash and speedo

nicanor

Reaction score
I'd like to put a three component guage cluster under the dash. I've seen them on Ebay, but want to buy something that you guys use on Roadrunners for water temp, oil pressure and amps. Also what are you using for a speedometer?

Thanks,
Barry

moparchris

Reaction score
I second Autometer even though it appears their quality has gone down recently. For the money I would consider having the factory gauges redone.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
I'm a fan of Autometer stuff. Great selection and quality. Check them out. :cents:

All I ever use. They are great to work with if you ever have a problem - I can vouch for that.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If I were to replace the factory ammeter, I would use a voltmeter.

The stock Mopar wiring has one Achilles heel and that is all the current is run through the bulkhead connector and across the ammeter.

A good article that addresses this: http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I used Autometer. The cheap Autogage line actually. They had the black pods and white faces I wanted readily available. I didn't want a "Monster" tach and the white face one that only went to 8,000 fit the bill for me.

Really I would just find a set that had the look I was going for. I doubt you will find gauges that cause you a problem for general street use. If you want to go to Daytona or Bonneville, then maybe source some high end stuff.

dobie

Reaction score
Im using a Summit brand triple gauge set up. My tach is a Sunpro, and I forgot what the fuel gauge is already................ :crazy:

2011-09-10_18-51-03_866.jpg

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score
Re: What kind of gauges are we using under the dash and spee

Hello everyone! I want to purchase a water temp gauge but where is the best place to install the sending unit in the engine bay? Does anyone have pictures? Thanks!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

there is a plug on the water pump housing next to he heater hoses where I put mine. you get an adapter with the gause that fits where tyhe plug is.

dhansen_69RR

Reaction score

Does that replace the stock temp gauge? I would like for both to work if possible.
thanks!!!

red 69 runner

Reaction score

I just have 2 mechanical gauges,oil psi and water temp,I want to do the bypass the ammeter and add avolt gauge,I tied my oil psi in the back of the block on the other plug next to the dummy light sender and the water temp in the top of water pump housing,stock temp gage is still hooked up.

1 year later 002.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

no, the factory temp gauge sender is in the front of the housing. I still use both on mine. same with the oil gauge/idiot light.

JJRJR

Reaction score

dobie said:
Im using a Summit brand triple gauge set up. My tach is a Sunpro, and I forgot what the fuel gauge is already................ :crazy:

Dobie, I had no clue you could get an aftermarket fuel guage for under the dash. My OEM restored guage and brand new sending unit are for shit, can't get them accurate. Does the aftermarket one use the same sending unit I assume? So, if the sending unit isn't working for my OEM it won't work for the aftermarket? I've heard most of the guys have trouble with the fuel guages. Thanks, John.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

Most all the inaccurate fuel gauge problems are do to the sending units that are out today, not the gauge.

JJRJR

Reaction score

69hemibeep said:
Most all the inaccurate fuel gauge problems are do to the sending units that are out today, not the gauge.

I wonder if I found an OEM unit if it would be better? Is there a fix to the new stuff?

Roadcuda

Reaction score

JJRJR said:
69hemibeep said:

I wonder if I found an OEM unit if it would be better? Is there a fix to the new stuff?

Maybe. I have one in my car now and it's still off! And by a lot too. :brickwall: The guy who did the work now wants to check the gauge itself. We shall see.

Steve

Reaction score

I guess I must have got lucky with my new sender.I just bent the arm on it until I got a full sweep,took a few goes to get it right though.

dobie

Reaction score

JJRJR said:
dobie said:

Dobie, I had no clue you could get an aftermarket fuel guage for under the dash. My OEM restored guage and brand new sending unit are for shit, can't get them accurate. Does the aftermarket one use the same sending unit I assume? So, if the sending unit isn't working for my OEM it won't work for the aftermarket? I've heard most of the guys have trouble with the fuel guages. Thanks, John.

Yeah, the aftermarket gauge uses the same sending unit. My aftermarket gauge wasn't any more correct than the one in the dash. Ive never been able to get my fuel gauge to work properly. I ended up taking the aftermarket one out of the car. No sense in having it if it doesn't work. Id pay decent money if I could find a NOS sending unit just to try. Seems thats like the proverbial needle in the haystack though.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

ask and you shall recieve my Green Brother, on the 'parts

roadntrack

Reged: Jul 27 2004
Loc: USA
FUEL SENDER 3420848 [Re: moparply]
#7614285 - Tue Mar 05 2013 11:33 AM Attachment (15 downloads)
Reply Quote

NOS MOPAR fuel sending unit 3420848
has the 5/16 line for 1968-70 318 & 383 cars

$175 plus ship

send PM no e-mail

7614285-SENDER.jpg

Back