• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what octane level of gas in ur hemi ?

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Mines not a hemi but I run octane booster and lead additive with 92 octane pump gas

HD539

Reaction score
I have tried a couple different types of gas. I typically run ethanol free premium pump gas but most recently I mixed a tank 50/50 (ethanol free premium and 100 octane gas (Sunoco). It really perked it up.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
I have tried a couple different types of gas. I typically run ethanol free premium pump gas but most recently I mixed a tank 50/50 (ethanol free premium and 100 octane gas (Sunoco). It really perked it up.
Do u know the octane is on the ethanol free premium Sunoco is..And r u putting this in a hemi or 383..

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
The ethanol premium I think is 91. The Sunoco is 100. Pump gas only for the 383. I’m putting the mix into a hemi.
I have another question for a hemi owner...Mine is a 68 roadrunner...My car is really bad cold collared...U can run it for a little while and turn it off, and it will fire right back up,but if u try to start it back after sitting a week it thaks forever to start...Do u experience anything like this with yours?

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
I have another question for a hemi owner...Mine is a 68 roadrunner...My car is really bad cold collared...U can run it for a little while and turn it off, and it will fire right back up,but if u try to start it back after sitting a week it thaks forever to start...Do u experience anything like this with yours?
I'm using 110 VP racing gas...got to find a cheaper combination!!!

HD539

Reaction score
Mine is the same way. Extremely cold blooded. Once warmed up though she’s good to go. Mine sat for a couple months until I finally motivated myself to change out the cracked ring gear on the flywheel. What a bugger to get started.

HD539

Reaction score
I'm using 110 VP racing gas...got to find a cheaper combination!!!
I ran VP in my race bikes years ago. It makes a big difference for sure. I don’t know what you’re paying for it but the last time I bought the 100 octane Sunoco it was slightly over $9 a gallon. I can buy it at the pump which makes it convenient

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just use premium hemi combustion chambers are pretty forgiving. Mine is bone stock.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
I ran VP in my race bikes years ago. It makes a big difference for sure. I don’t know what you’re paying for it but the last time I bought the 100 octane Sunoco it was slightly over $9 a gallon. I can buy it at the pump which makes it convenient
Yeah...I know what u mean,I'm paying $45 for 5 gals

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Bad when you have to brake the bank account to fill up the car. 2.45 for 98 ethanol down here. Have to run that in my HD bike. Will probably run 50/50 mix in my 383 AV gas and 98 ethanol. Do you charge the carb like press the gas pedal once before trying to crank it. Found out that dose seem to crank these old motor's better when cold. Just my Two cents. LOL.

Ranger

Reaction score
I have another question for a hemi owner...Mine is a 68 roadrunner...My car is really bad cold collared...U can run it for a little while and turn it off, and it will fire right back up, but if u try to start it back after sitting a week it thaks forever to start...Do u experience anything like this with yours?
I have found the same thing. Fuel evaporates and the long crank time is replenishing the fuel in the float bowls. I use a plastic olive oil bottle filed with gas and give each of the float bowls a good healthy squirt through the carb vents before cranking it after a long rest. She fires up like I ran her yesterday.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Bad when you have to brake the bank account to fill up the car. 2.45 for 98 ethanol down here. Have to run that in my HD bike. Will probably run 50/50 mix in my 383 AV gas and 98 ethanol. Do you charge the carb like press the gas pedal once before trying to crank it. Found out that dose seem to crank these old motor's better when cold. Just my Two cents. LOL.
Yes sir I have tried that ,with no luck..It seams that there is just no gas there to get to fire off.the guy told me it was cold collared to start but just didn't realize how bad.After it starts, it starts fine on the 1st crank..then a week later same old thing

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
I have found the same thing. Fuel evaporates and the long crank time is replenishing the fuel in the float bowls. I use a plastic olive oil bottle filed with gas and give each of the float bowls a good healthy squirt through the carb vents before cranking it after a long rest. She fires up like I ran her yesterday.
Now That all makes sense to me...Where r these carb vents located, is there one on each carb?

RonLiv

Reaction score
Sunoco around here sells 93 Octane, so do several other gas stations. You can get non-ethanol at some places, not many, but it is 87 Octane. Some of the Wa Wa's have it. Had a long discussion on which brand of gasoline to buy and which was "better" with the guys at a car club, they are mostly high end super car guys who store at the same garage I do. The basic conclusion was, the brand name doesn't matter as much as the gas station that sells the most gas is what I got out of the conversation. I run a stock 383HP in my 69 Road Runner, stock Carter AVS 4682 carb (rebuilt to handle the ethanol) and stock intake. The people who did my engine told me to run the 93 Octane and throw a bit of Marvel Mystery oil with each fill up. So that's what I do. They want me to use 20W50 high Zinc oil, so that's what I do. It's not a race car, I just drive it and have fun. Not sure this answers the question or helps or if anyone cares, but this is how I roll.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Sunoco around here sells 93 Octane, so do several other gas stations. You can get non-ethanol at some places, not many, but it is 87 Octane. Some of the Wa Wa's have it. Had a long discussion on which brand of gasoline to buy and which was "better" with the guys at a car club, they are mostly high end super car guys who store at the same garage I do. The basic conclusion was, the brand name doesn't matter as much as the gas station that sells the most gas is what I got out of the conversation. I run a stock 383HP in my 69 Road Runner, stock Carter AVS 4682 carb (rebuilt to handle the ethanol) and stock intake. The people who did my engine told me to run the 93 Octane and throw a bit of Marvel Mystery oil with each fill up. So that's what I do. They want me to use 20W50 high Zinc oil, so that's what I do. It's not a race car, I just drive it and have fun. Not sure this answers the question or helps or if anyone cares, but this is how I roll.
Thanks Ron...that is good info to know!!! Thanks a bunch.....Sammy

HD539

Reaction score
Fortunately we have several local gas stations that sell the ethanol free premium gas. My 383 runs well with it and honestly so does the 426. The hemi cold starts hard regardless of whether I’m running ethanol free or 100 octane. The hemi car likes the higher octane gas but certainly doesn’t need it to run well. My hemi car doesn’t have the choke so it does start hard when it’s cold. Like RonLiv stated, the guys in the car club I belong to have had some lively discussions about what to run in our cars (no real conclusion reached). For me I’ll probably run the higher octane mix a couple times a year, but not on a steady basis. Just my opinion.

Back