• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what octane level of gas in ur hemi ?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thinking out of the box would something like a moon tank under the hood help with this problem. The bowl on the carb's do hold quite a bit of fuel in them. Don't under stand why they would go dry. But the old car's use to pump the accelerator a few times to get them to fire. Not like the fuel injection cars of today. Or the throttle body. May be why some guy's are putting fuel injection on these now day's.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
No problem with my Holley on my Jeep or Valiant its the Carter and Eddy carbs that the fuel evaporates out of. Different style of bowl vents, I have to prime the Runner

cosgig

Reaction score
I run my 6bbl car on a 50/50 mix of 90 octane “Rec” fuel with no ethanol, and 110 racing gas which is leaded. The store at the corner by my house has the rec fuel, and I go into town to buy the 110. $60 gets me 10 gallons of this mix, and I can typically terrorize the streets of my pride lands for a couple weeks on that amount of gas.

Sammy Buchanan

Fall Back to my Youth
Reaction score
Thinking out of the box would something like a moon tank under the hood help with this problem. The bowl on the carb's do hold quite a bit of fuel in them. Don't under stand why they would go dry. But the old car's use to pump the accelerator a few times to get them to fire. Not like the fuel injection cars of today. Or the throttle body. May be why some guy's are putting fuel injection on these now day's.
I'm thinking about putting fuel injection on mine too.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mix 90 octane non-ethanol rec gas with either 100LL Av-Gas or Sunoco Race Fuel.

On a slightly different note, I wouldn't put ethanol "enriched" gas in a weed eater, much less one of my prized musclecars. If you ever saw what that corrosive shit does to the inside of a metal tank or a fuel line neither would you... There's a reason why modern vehicles have plastic tanks and lines...

HD539

Reaction score
I mix 90 octane non-ethanol rec gas with either 100LL Av-Gas or Sunoco Race Fuel.

On a slightly different note, I wouldn't put ethanol "enriched" gas in a weed eater, much less one of my prized musclecars. If you ever saw what that corrosive shit does to the inside of a metal tank or a fuel line neither would you... There's a reason why modern vehicles have plastic tanks and lines...
I couldn’t agree more with you, another hobby i have is rebuilding motorcycle engines and the damage the ethanol does to the piston, head and carburetor is an eye opener. I try and put ethanol free in all my motors when possible.

Back