• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size tire will fit on the factory wheels?

69rrvert

Reaction score
I finally have the bird back home after a 2 year hibernation at my parents house. The tires look good but are probably about 10 years old so I want to get some new ones before driving it too far. Currently, it has 225/70R/14 on all corners. I would like to put 235/60R/14's on the rear and probably stay with the 225/70R/14's on the front. My question is, will the 60's fit on the factory wheels? Thanks, Steven

1969ronnie

Reaction score
hi, the factory 5.5 wide rim is a little too narrow for a 235 or 245 60 series and its shorter than the 225 70 14 you have now. I like the 225 70 14 if you can find them. same height as a original f 70 14 and a tad wider. it also keeps your speedo correct. ronnie

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Look up the tire at Tirerack . They will have the recommended wheel widths for your desired tire.

tom.hauer

Reaction score
If you are looking to stay more original Coker has the correct F70-14 that came on the car (Firestone Wide Ovals, red line and all - bias ply). Or you can get the period correct Goodrich Silvertowne Radial - Red line also. I buy mine through Summit Racing. They are not cheap but you have the correct tire. I agree with the above post that the 60 series will not work on the standard factory rim. I would actually recommend going to 15 inch rims if you want to do that although now you will have to go out and find them!!! I bought a second set of the standard ralleye wheels so that I can mount radials for street driving and the Firestone Bias plys for shows so the car is shown with the correct tires on it!

Back