• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What tires for a 4-speed car?

hemi67s

Reaction score
So I know drag radials don't hook with stick car or so I have been told. M/T say's to run ET Street's on my car. What are you guy's using at the track to hook besides slicks? On motor it makes 645HP/606TQ. I won't be racing it this year, just getting ready to wire and fire it up and shake it down on the street some, so I got time to choose a tire that will work. Thanks.

inri

Reaction score
So I know drag radials don't hook with stick car or so I have been told. M/T say's to run ET Street's on my car. What are you guy's using at the track to hook besides slicks? On motor it makes 645HP/606TQ. I won't be racing it this year, just getting ready to wire and fire it up and shake it down on the street some, so I got time to choose a tire that will work. Thanks.

730 hp on my weekend warrior with M/T ET Streets. Awesome tire! I run 295/55/15 on my '69 RR.

moparchris

Reaction score
M/T slicks are the way to go for all out hook. The problem with a stick car and that much power is it will hit the tires too hard. M/T makes a stick only tire and I would recommend it. The other item that will make your car work like magic is a McCleod cintered iron clutch. I have extensive experience with this clutch in a 3500 pound car with 600hp and then moved up to 1000 hp. The cintered iron clutch is adjustable and you can tailor the hit to soften the blow to the chassis and tires.

hemi67s

Reaction score
M/T slicks are the way to go for all out hook. The problem with a stick car and that much power is it will hit the tires too hard. M/T makes a stick only tire and I would recommend it. The other item that will make your car work like magic is a McCleod cintered iron clutch. I have extensive experience with this clutch in a 3500 pound car with 600hp and then moved up to 1000 hp. The cintered iron clutch is adjustable and you can tailor the hit to soften the blow to the chassis and tires.

I will have to look for that stick only tire form M/T then. I just would rather not run a slick, been there and done that with my Demon, but I may have no choice. I will play around leaving at different rpm's on motor and hopefully get something figured out so it hooks somewhat before I hit the spray. The clutch I am using is Ram force 10.5 twin disc set up, I have had good luck with Ram in the past, but I have heard lots of good things about those cintered iron clutchs as well.

Back