• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What were you doing in 1989

moparchris

Reaction score
Well I was doing this! This is the turbo Dart back when I was 16. It had a fresh 273 with a rebuilt manual valve body 727. I spent two years rebuilding it with money saved from my paper route and gas station job. It had 2 NOS redlines on the back. I boiled them off in short order. Dumbass. :brickwall:

moparchris

Reaction score
Last two. These pics are dedicated to the photo nazi.......you know who you are...........I wont name names, but his names rhymes with Dave. :devil:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
In '89 I had deceided to go back to college while still working full time. At that time I had my '57 Belvedere, and '58 Custom Suburban wagon. My muscle car era was still about 10 years away! And Collin, you just made feel even older then I really am!!!!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hmmm... 1989. I was 35, my kids were 3 and 5 years old. I was working long hours as a Toolmaker and was still married to my first wife.

Had my Roadrunner though.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had just gotten out of the Air Force the year before. Was using my GI Benefits to finish my degree. Started working for the company (Polyplastex) on January 3rd of that year that would later get bought out by the company that I still work for today (Schneller). Started on the floor and would be in training for an outside Sales position by the end of the year.

Car-wise I had my E5 & B5 '70 340 Dusters, a '71 Duster w/318, a sunfire yellow RM27 w/383 & 727, and a '83 D150 4X4 w/ a '73 340.

:jester:
ACME

droptop

Reaction score
Well lets see... I had been married for 2 years, and had a one year old that had collic so bad.....he does not even know how close he came to being an only child. :lol:

I had been working at by current place of employment for 5 years, and working 7 days a week trying to make ends meet. We had been in our first house for about 10 months and it needed a lot of work.

Vehicles...My daily driver was an '80 Z28, and I had the GTX of course.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I had sold my road runner in '88 and was tooling around in an white (with black stripes) '83 Dodge Colt 3 door hatchback with a 5 speed and 1.4L engine. That little car was a great car and got up to 38 mpg on the highway with a small 1bbl carburetor (gee I wonder why cars can't do that today?). I wish now I hadn't sold it when I did.
I turned 33 that year and was working at a civil engineering company as a design/drafter and making decent money at the time. That year I developed a heart condition known as PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) which really threw me for a loop. Between the docs and myself we finally got the problem under control about 8 years later! Turned out to be caused primarily by an acid reflux condition. The docs got me on Prilosec and/or Prevacid and I've had no problems since.
We bought the house in '90 and have been here since then.

John69RR

Reaction score
I had been married 3 years, bought my RR in April and was working as a Materials Handling/heavy equipment Mechanic at the plastics plant that I now work for as an operator. Car wise we had an S-10 Blazer and a D-50 P/U.

moparstuart

Reaction score
I was 21 , I got married in sept of 89 , had owned my red 69 runner since 84 . Had no kids yet and was working in an auto parts store. I bought my charger GLHS off a used car lot by my house . I still own it with only 45k on it now .

glhcarl

Reaction score
In 1989 I was 44 years old, had been married 19 years (I still have the same wife) had three kids, two at home and one in the Marines. I had worked for the same aerospace company for 20 years. I bought a new Daytona Shelby (Turbo II/5 speed) to replace my GLH that I wore out on my 130 mile my round trip to work five days a week.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had just started working for the International truck dealer delivering parts. Not much $$, but spotted alot of old mopars. Had my '68 Charger R/T.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
LET ME THINK BACK.....YEAH 39 YRS OLD HANGING OFF THE POUGHKEESIE BRIDGE[working]married 13 yrs...son 8 yrs old and daughter 4 yrs old.....brand new f-350 ford diesel pick-up......no hot rod roadrunner till 96

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to school for Auto Body (short lived caraer choice but I still use the skills every once in a while) and working as an autoparts counterman (loved the work, hated the pay).

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Going to school for Auto Body (short lived caraer choice but I still use the skills every once in a while) and working as an autoparts counterman (loved the work, hated the pay).

Wow Rich...talk about parallel universes...but separated by a few years... I was doing the same bit but back in '80 - '81. Wasn't as good at bodywork and painting as I wanted to be - and being young and impetuous I never really gave my skills a chance to develop - and of course I expected to be Darryl Starbird right out of the chute... I worked at an auto parts store, first as a driver and then as a counterman during that time. Absolutely loved it, but the pay totally sucked, just as you noted. It was a great time though...that was back in the day when you could walk into an auto parts store and ask for a filter for a 727 and the guy would just go grab one off of the shelf; today they need to know if the car has four-wheel steering, fast or slow blinkers, rear wipers, and body side moldings in order to get the computer to tell them that the item has been discontinued... :lol:

:jester:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Rich...talk about parallel universes...but separated by a few years... I was doing the same bit but back in '80 - '81. Wasn't as good at bodywork and painting as I wanted to be - and being young and impetuous I never really gave my skills a chance to develop - and of course I expected to be Darryl Starbird right out of the chute... I worked at an auto parts store, first as a driver and then as a counterman during that time. Absolutely loved it, but the pay totally sucked, just as you noted. It was a great time though...that was back in the day when you could walk into an auto parts store and ask for a filter for a 727 and the guy would just go grab one off of the shelf; today they need to know if the car has four-wheel steering, fast or slow blinkers, rear wipers, and body side moldings in order to get the computer to tell them that the item has been discontinued... :lol:

:jester:[/quote]

A learned from that hobby and profession should never be the same. The auto parts world sucks compared to how it used to be, one field for sure where computers did no one any favors, I just wish I kept some of the many mant catologs I've tossed while working that field.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
LET ME THINK BACK.....YEAH 39 YRS OLD HANGING OFF THE POUGHKEESIE BRIDGE[working]married 13 yrs...son 8 yrs old and daughter 4 yrs old.....brand new f-350 ford diesel pick-up......no hot rod roadrunner till 96
George I just have to ask, what work were you doing hanging off the bridge? That would have been well after the fire, and well before they deceided to add the walkway, which I plan on taking a ride out to see and take a walk out on!

Back