• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have a friend and car nut that hangs around and gives me a hand from time to time, and we have a difference of opinion about one item on my car. When I took it apart I found a very small dent in the right wing window chrome and also after market glass. So I called the original owner and asked about the breakin on his old runner. He said after he ordered it and a period of time the dealer said it had arrived and would call back after prep so he could take delivery. Well it ended up being almost a week and thats the only time he could think of that the glass was replaced because he never had a breakin. Now I have date correct glass and was going to get the dent removed and make it the way it left the factory, but my friend thinks it would be kind of neat to leave it with the story and that it was delivered that way from the dealer! Any opinions :cheers:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That seems to be one of the great debates between restorers right now. What is correct? The way it came from the dealer or the way it came from the factory.

My take is this.... The car as it came from the factory wasn't really in "drivable" conditon. It needed to be prepared by the dealer for delivery. The hubcaps were in the trunk etc.. and of course the car had to be cleaned up from its train and road trip.

So... there is no way you would buy the car like that. The car would be "prepped" ... clean and shiny and ready to head down the highway.

Now... 2000 miles later, the car would be brought back in... the oil and filter changed (there goes that green filter) and the grease fittings would be installed on the suspension parts.

That brings me to my point... where do you draw the line? The car is only original once... The car would never driven like it came from the factory... and the green oil filter is never gonna be on a car with more then 2000 miles showing on the odometer.

Back to the dent... its a cool story... its part of the history... but does the dent bother you? It would annoy me and I'd fix it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I agree with John, if you don't like the dent then get it fixed. You're the one who will look at it everyday, and no one else would know about it unless you tell them.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
pretty much agree with the guys. But the thing is, as nice as that car is looking, do you really want a dent in your chrome?It would look fine on mine(just be sure to send both sides,and I could really use a nice original front bumper to go with the rear......) But it's really up to you.

moparstuart

Reaction score
it's your car make it the way you want it , I like querky story like that and have had my 69 since high school ,I think some of the scratches and thing add charater to my car and my memories with it. Just my thoughts but make it the way you want it .

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Just go with your best part on hand. IF it were very noticable to me, I would consider it to be a raggy part on a nice car. If you have to really look to see the damage then it isn't that big of a deal.

Pics maybe so we can decide.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If it were me (I should be so lucky...) I'd go ahead and fix it. I'm too much of a perfectionist not to have it right. But that's just me.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Plymouthfan said:
So the dealer dented it and broke the glass in 69?
We kind of think it was broke into in transit or at the dealer :yesnod:
If thats the case, if you keep the dent, I'd make up a better story... tell people it was bought by a moonshine runner or a bank robbers escape car. :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I'd fix it but keep the original somewhere.

Sound thinking, Gary. IMHO the very best of both worlds. Throw the original in the trunk when you take her to a car show. Someone will inevitably ask about it, you can relate the story, and it will have served its purpose then...

:jester:
ACME

Back