• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the oil capacity of the 383 oil pan

nicanor

Reaction score
I ws told that the oil capacity of the 383 oil pan is only four quarts and I should change out to the 6 qt hemi oil pan. Does anyone know if this is true and what the Summit part number might be?

Thanks,
Barry

moparchris

Reaction score
You are correct. In a stock motor with a standard volume oil pump a 4 quart pan will work fine. It just has less tolerance to being low on oil. A 6 quart pan is extra insurance. If I was to build a motor that had more RPM capability than stock or more stroke than stock I would definitely go with a 6 quart. If you have to replace your pan for any reason go with a 6 quart. When I run an extra capacity pan I always run it a quart low to reduce windage which is worth a few HP. AcmeA12 just bought one, maybe he can shed some light on where to buy one.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Depends on what you are doing with the car.

If the engine is stock, as it appears to be in the photos, I wouldn't worry about. If you plan on racing it a bunch, then maybe. Even regular trips down the 1320 won't hurt it if you are all stock.

dobie

Reaction score
I bought the 6 qt pan when I got ready to drop my 383 in just for extra insurance. I bought it straight from the local Mopar Performance dealer. I also went with a hi flow pump.

nicanor

Reaction score
Thank you. I found a replacement on Summit racing for the car except it is a 7qt. I also ordered the high flow pump as well. Couldn't find the six qt oil pan. The 7qt is a direct replacement for the 383/440. Hope it works. It also comes with a magnetic drain plug.

Brand Milodon
Manufacturer's Part Number 31010
Part Type Oil Pans, Individual
Product Line Milodon Street and Strip Oil Pans
Summit Racing Part Number MIL-31010

Rear Main Seal Style 2-piece
Sump Style Wet
Oil Pan Capacity 7 quarts
Oil Pan Depth (in) 7.750 in.
Oil Pan Material Steel
Oil Pan Finish Gold iridited
Sump Location Center
Baffled Yes
Kicked Out No
Stroker Clearanced Yes
Maximum Stroke with OE Rod 4.750 in.
Dipstick Provision No
Windage Tray Included No
Pickup Included No
Crank Scraper Included No
Drain Plug Thread Size 1/2-20 in.
Gaskets Included No
Hardware Included No
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes Pan fits very well with 1964 and earlier K-members. Provides increased capacity in all 1959-73 Mopar vehicles (except trucks. Oil pan front depth is 1.375 in.

Thanks,
Barry

mcmopar

Reaction score
No dipstick provision. No way to check oil level between oil changes.I hope you ordered the Milodon oil pickup as well. Your stock oil pickup tube and screen won't be deep enough. I think it may not clear the K-member since it is 1.375" deep at the front. You may be sending that pan back...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
AcmeA12 just bought one, maybe he can shed some light on where to buy one.

Right here...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-30761/

Order the correct pick-up too...

As for whether or not the stock pan is adequate for high performance usage, Bob K himself told me that a BBM with a stock oil pump can suck the 4 qt pan dry in a 1/4 mile race. For me that alone is more than enough justification for the upgrade. :cents:

:jester:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The 31010 pan hangs REALLY low. Real low. Does for sure take the matching pickup.

A more expensive, but DELUXE option is the Milodon 31580. It isn't promote very well and costs 450 bucks or so w/ the pickup added in. I find it mind boggling as to why they wouldn't let it be known about. It's really a road race pan- overkill for the street, but really no downsides. Even the price isn't that bad considering what you get in value.

That is the best oil pan you will find on the market. It holds tons of oil, has all sorts of baffles, has an oil temp sender port built in, and tucks real nice. I had one on my car and would never buy another pan. It is worth living on beans for a month or two to afford if that is what it takes. It's that nice.

nicanor

Reaction score
So now I'm the proud owner of two oil pans. But Summit racing will take the first one back. Thanks for picking up on that so fast.

Thanks again,
Barry

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nicanor said:
So now I'm the proud owner of two oil pans. But Summit racing will take the first one back. Thanks for picking up on that so fast.

Thanks again,
Barry

Which one did you order to replace the 31010? :popcorn:

nicanor

Reaction score
I ordered the 30761. I hope this engine rebuild works out so I can move on.

Thanks for all the help,
Barry

Back